3: Mr. Dun Likes English

Tyler approached the door, glancing around at the empty halls. Everyone was gone for lunch, leaving the hallways a wasteland. The students were all either in the cafeteria or out for lunch.

Here Tyler was, walking back to the math class where he had to do work. He'd much rather be with Brendon and his friends, but he wanted to impress his teacher by actually showing up. Being honest, he didn't plan on actually showing up, but he had second thoughts during second period. (Second period was geography- ugh.)

He glanced into the door that was already open, seeing the lights on and hearing the occasional soft sound of pages turning. There was definitely someone in there. Tyler nervously brought his fist to the door, knocking on it shyly, not hard enough to push it any farther open yet just loud enough to draw attention.

"Come in," said that warm voice, and Tyler did. He nudged the door open and pushed it behind him, using a little too much force while trying to act casual and closing the door all the way. It left a moderately loud slam to echo around as it shut, making Tyler flinch.

The brunette glanced at Mr. Dun and the teacher glanced back, both acknowledging each other until the redhead cleared his throat. "You showed."

"Well, yeah.." Tyler approached the desk in the first row he was sitting at earlier in the morning, eyeing it over before taking a seat.

Mr. Dun looked down at his desk, closing the book he appeared to be reading, the one from earlier. "Sorry, I'm just surprised."

"Why?" Tyler dropped and unzipped his backpack, retrieving the sheet and pencil form earlier and setting them down on the desk.

"You haven't showed up to class in the past few weeks until today, I figured you wouldn't be too interested in having to come back again at lunch."

"I missed a lot of class, and unless I get a scholarship for basketball I'll need good grades for college." Tyler shrugged. "If I end up going to college."

Mr. Dun thought about this for a moment. "Smart. You've got your head screwed on right, unlike those people smoking weed and vaping with no plan whatsoever."

Tyler couldn't hold back a smile at the praise. "Thank you, sir."

The red haired teacher nodded, pressing his lips together and smiling in return. He then peered over at the clock that hung over the door. "Okay, get to work."

Tyler nodded, eyes plummeting down to his worksheet, half finished. He sighed, brought his pencil to the paper, and set to work.

He ended up finishing ten minutes before lunch was over, and, bored, bit the inside of his cheek. Mr. Dun looked engrossed in his book, and Tyler almost didn't want to, but ended up softly speaking. "Um, I'm done."

The teacher looked up, eyes meeting the teenagers. "Oh, okay. Bring it over here, I'll check the answers."

Tyler nodded and stood, almost bumping into the desk and sucking in a sharp breath. He approached the desk and seated himself at the seat beside it, handing his teacher the paper and watching his expression as he scanned over the answers, putting the sheet down on his desk. Tyler squirmed anxiously.

"Ah, one mistake here." Mr. Dun pointed to an equation and continued to explain where he'd gone wrong. "See?"

"Yeah, I forgot to add the exponents.."