14: Tyler And Josh Are Still in Love

Lower back and jaw sore from an uncomfortable sleeping position, Tyler stirred that morning with a frown. He yawned on the couch, arching his back and trying to find a comfortable position. He didn't feel like he got enough sleep; however, after a few attempts, it became apparent that he wasn't going to fall back asleep.

Tyler sat up, running a hand through his bed head and rubbing the sleep out from his eyes. He raised to his feet, wondering around mindlessly in search of Josh. He had to apologize to him. He just had to, so that things would be okay. Sure, he didn't come home while Tyler was awake, but that was okay- just so long as they made up. It would all be okay. He needed it to be, and Josh owed it to him to be.

He crept silently to Josh's bedroom, peeking through the open crack, gently swinging the door open so he could step in. He was both surprised and taken aback when he saw that Josh wasn't there, but overall he was just confused. It didn't make sense- he should have been home by then- unless it was what Tyler feared. This fight was way more serious than he thought it was.

Just then, the familiar sound of the front door swinging open on its rusty hinges made Tyler turn his head. He walked into the hallway and peered into the kitchen, and there was Josh, looking tired and wearing yesterday's clothes. Tyler grimaced as Josh dropped his keys on the counter, making an abrupt jingling noise.

"Josh?" Tyler squinted, making Josh look at him. He had bags under his eyes. He looked unwell, or sick, or at least unkempt.

Josh murmured a greeting, pushing past Tyler and heading to his room.

"Wait," said Tyler, making Josh hault and look over at the smaller boy expectantly. "Where've you been?"

"Doesn't matter," muttered Josh, but Tyler stopped him physically this time.

"It does matter, 'cause you were gone all night!"

"I went to a bar and I crashed at a friend's place. Okay?"

"What friend?"

"What?" Josh shook Tyler's hand off of his arm. "Why does it matter? I'm going to bed."

And Josh did, abruptly slamming his bedroom door and shutting Tyler out. The brunette stared at the door for a moment, feeling some uncalled for emotion - fear, perhaps- course steadily through him. Tyler wasn't stupid. If he were a girl and they weren't in some gay relationship, he'd ask if Josh stayed at a girls place, and if he said no then it would be over that easily. But since Josh obviously swung both ways, or at least Tyler assumed so, he could really cheat on him with anyone.

Now, Tyler wasn't going to assume anything, but he really, really hoped Josh wouldn't do that to him. Sure, they weren't exclusive, but they were still something and even if they'd fought the night before it would hurt to know that Josh did something with someone else. What they had was special. Or at least it was to Tyler, and it wasn't something he was willing to give up.

But regardless of what he thought or felt strongly of, Tyler knew he had to let Josh sleep, or at least have some time alone. With a sigh, he trudged back to the couch, eyesore.

-

When Josh finally emerged from his bedroom it was with great shame. Tyler watched on behind hooded eyes, nose in a book as the teacher fled to the bathroom.

"Josh," he called on, but got no response. Instead, the bathroom door was quietly shut.

It must have been around five-o'clock, nearly time for dinner. Tyler was bored, stuck reading To Kill A Mockingbird again - mainly because of was one of the only good books Josh had on his nearby shelf, and also because Tyler admittedly liked the novel - and getting very sick of not talking to Josh.

He felt a lot like Scout, the main character in the book he was reading. He felt like her in that particular moment; unaccepted, lonely, and guilty. Tyler felt guilty for letting Josh leave last night in the first place. He had to make things right, he told himself.

Josh trudged out if the bathroom nearly a moment later, not even making eye contact with Tyler though the younger brunette strived to catch his glance. He watched on as Josh dipped back into he bedroom, this time not bothering to close he door all the way, leaving it open a crack.

It only took a moment for Tyler to bookmark his page, placing the novel face down on the coffee table. He rose to his feet and cautiously crept toward the bedroom.

He opened the door a little bit, seeing Josh, laying lazily on the bed above the messy blankets. He was on his back, staring up at the ceiling- and then, he was staring at Tyler. But his gaze wasn't upsetting anymore- it was sort of vague, and tired.

Tyler sighed through his nose, wordlessly stepping on into the room and climbing onto the bed. They were in some sort of unspoken agreement as the skinny brunette laid down beside Josh, back to the older man.

An unspoken agreement, as Josh turned over and pulled him closer, head resting on the back of Tyler's neck, arms holding him close.

They stayed like this for a long while, dim sunlight persistently shining through the closed curtains. Eventually, Josh's voice was a murmur, silky buttermilk in Tyler's ears.

"'m sorry.."

Tyler sighed again, soft and barely there. "It's okay. Shhh."

But Josh didn't stay quiet. He put a hand on Tyler's shoulder, coaxing him to turn to face him, which Tyler did. One of the redhead's hands came up to brush brunette hair away from Tyler's tired eyes, staring at him tenderly.

Josh sighed softly, hand coming up to caress the side of Tyler's head. His thumb made soothing circular motions on Tyler's temple, the atmosphere calm.

"I love you," whispered Josh, barely a whisper and more of a breath. "I love you, Ty.."

Tyler held his breath, butterflies dancing in the pit of his stomach. "Love you too," he mumbled tiredly.

And when they kissed, it was sweet and slow and soft, hearts beating in rhythm together. Fuck, Tyler was so in love, it was crazy.

"We'll get through this," mumbled Josh against Tyler's lips,

"We'll get through this together. I promise."