12: Tyler is Totally, Definitely and Honestly Not Gay

[suuuper short chapter, sorry]

Water slowly dripped from the ceiling in Tyler's room, making a constant pitter-patter. It was late afternoon, perhaps around five o'clock, the sunlight leaking through the blinds and falling onto the wooden floor.

A single drop of water cascaded from the ceiling and crashed down onto Tyler's hand, which was connected to his arm, spilled out over the side of the bed. Soft, tired snores left him, but they were suddenly cut short as he stirred. The drop of water woke him.

He sat up slow, blinking away his tiredness and having to adjust to the light of his room. He felt hazy, as if all of his worries had left him for the time being- he'd forgot about the days events, and you do after waking up from a nap. His only thought was the urge to fall back asleep.

He considered doing so, before he heard his father's voice, loud and calling him to dinner from downstairs.

Tyler rubbed his eyes, nudging the sleepiness away, and slowly the memories returned to him. He was walking halfway across his room by the time he realized he would have questions to answer when he arrived downstairs.

And he did. His parents were looking at him strangely when Tyler arrived at the dinner table, taking a seat beside Jay and Maddy. Maddy kept looking at him like he was some sort of bad guy, and Jay wouldn't make eye contact. Zach was at the other end of the table holding an electric blue ice pack to the centre of his face.

"So," announced his dad, sitting down at the table while his mother made their plates, "Tyler, would you care to explain why you punched Zach in the nose?"

Tyler chose a solid place to stare at, not replying. If they were going to find out, it wasn't going to be from him.

"He has a broken nose," piped in his upset mom, and Tyler couldn't tell wether she was more sad or angry. "You broke his nose, Tyler!"

The teenaged brunette gave his mom a nod, confirming that he had, indeed, committed the crime.

Then Zach said it. "Tyler's a faggot. That's why he hit me."

Everything was dead silent and you could hear Maddy's shaky breathing. Tyler's dad was staring at him. Time seemed to stop and the old Georgian house seemed to hold it's breath, everything extremely still and silent.

Mr. Joseph broke the ice. "Is this true?"

"N-no," stuttered Tyler, clearly lying. He wished that at times like this he could suddenly become a better liar.

"Oh, my god," cried his mom as she covered her mouth with her hands in some kind of visible shock. Tyler almost felt ashamed, and almost felt angry, but actually ended up feeling emotionally dull. He couldn't quite process all of the feelings running through him, so he didn't try to.

"Go to your room," barked Tyler's dad, looking mildly distressed behind his strict fatherly facade.

"But dinner-"

"I said, go to your room. I don't feed sinners." Ouch.

Tyler gave him a small nod, standing and making way back to his room. Everything sucked. First, Jenna in general- and now, this, his parents. And on top of it all, Josh..

Tyler couldn't deny that he missed Josh. Real bad. He just wanted to be in his arms, or just lay with him or laugh with him and pretend everything was okay. But it was the polar opposite of okay.

All of a sudden Tyler took out his phone, tears already making their way down his rosy cheeks, small ugly sobs escaping his shaking lips. He got into his room and locked the door behind him, finding Josh's contact in his phone. He didn't even think before pressing the call button.

It rang six times. Tyler cried in rhythm with the ringing, sure it would go to voicemail, until there was a click that took him by surprise and Josh's bittersweet voice was on the other end of the line.

"Hello?" Said Josh, probably not noticing it was Tyler who had called because if so, he probably wouldn't have answered.

He Tyler stayed dead silent, sniffling and breathing shakily.

"Hello," repeated Josh, sounding a tad bit aggravated now, "Who's ther-"

"J-josh," cried out the brunette, shaking. He could feel the panic attack engulfing him, closing in on him like a predator closing in on prey. "J-j-josh, 'm.."

"..Tyler? I told you to stay away from me, which means don't call-"

"I'm s-s-sorry J-josh, I-I.."

There was a pause on the other line. Josh's voice was suddenly so calm and so strong. "Woah, breathe, Tyler. Just breathe- it's okay, you're okay. You're safe."

"N-no," stuttered Tyler, sniffling.

"What's wrong? What happened," asked Josh, concerned.

Tyler took a shaky breath. "M-m-my m.. I.." he tried again, "M-my parents k-know."

"..Fuck. About us?"

"N-no! I-I'mma.. a f-f-fag.."

"Oh, Tyler," hushed Josh, heart breaking over the phone. "Baby, it's okay, you're okay. Just take deep breaths for me, okay?"

"A-and you said," Tyler took in a huge breath, "you didn't wanna t-talk any-anymore.."

"Shh," cooed Josh. But Tyler couldn't stop shaking, couldn't stop crying. "Ty. You're safe, take deep breaths. I'm coming to get you."

"O-okay."