7: Josh Wants to Talk

Tyler stared down at his untied shoelaces. The hallway was quiet and desolate, which was unusual, and unfortunate. The brunette wished somebody was out here with them so Josh wouldn't bring up what happened at the dance. Because, of course, that's what this was about.

"We need to talk about it," sighed Josh, and Tyler could feel his stare on the top of his head. "Please."

He refused to look up, shaking his head. He wasn't upset, but kind of distressed, kind of embarrassed. He didn't want to talk about it at all.

"I'm sorry it happened, and I'm sorry if I left you with any kind of expectations since. I hope you understand that with my job, and your age, whatever happened last night was in the moment and it will not continue. I'm sorry if I made you uncomfortable or crossed any personal boundaries-"

"Fuck you," snarled the eighteen year old. "You can't just kiss someone and ditch 'em the next day, asshat."

"Don't use that language towards me, Tyler, I'm still your teacher."

"Haven't been acting like much of a teacher lately," he muttered darkly. He only then looked up, and Josh's face was tinted red. Was he blushing, stressed, or upset?, Tyler wondered. Likely all of the above.

Josh shook his head. "Don't be like that. T was a mistake, Mr. Joseph-"

"Oh, so I'm 'Mr. Joseph' now? You don't call Brendon 'Mr. Urie', an' you don't call Jenna 'Ms. Black'."

"And on top of it all, you have a girlfriend," said Josh. "What about her?"

"She's not like you." Tyler cut himself off, realizing it was too late and he'd already caved into emotional territory. Too late to take it back, he elaborated. "You're funnier, and more interesting, and to be honest you're a much better kisser."

"Tyler, we can't. I'm sorry."

"Stop saying you're sorry! I get it! But I'm not."

Everything went dead silent for a moment when they heard heels clicking against the wooden halls. They waited for the teacher to pass and walk through a set of doors, and even then stayed quiet for a heartbeat longer. Josh was the next one to speak.

"We need to maintain a professional relationship. My job is at stake here. I like you, but it's too risky."

"Take the risk," urged Tyler, suddenly not upset but desperate. He really did like Josh, and he couldn't quite explain why but he didn't want to loose him. He sure as hell felt some kind of connection last night, and it wasn't something he was willing to just give up.

Josh let out one of those long sighs, the ones you hear in films. He bit his bottom lip, checking Tyler out, and eventually looked at the polished floor. "I'll think about it. If it's worth it."

It wasn't what Tyler wanted to hear, but it was definitely better than a 'no'. Sure, it was a universal almost-no, but maybe he would actually think about it and consider it. Tyler didn't want to loose whatever they had.

Josh opened the steel classroom door, holding it open for Tyler to walk through. Nobody noticed him slide back into his seat, too preoccupied with laughing and talking with each other. The door made a startling slam as it closed behind Josh, who strode to his desk and sat down.

"Hey, what was that about?" Brendon cane up behind Tyler, nudging the back of his neck.

He had to formulate a quick excuse. "Uh, he just wanted to talk about homework."

"Boring," said Bren with a tsk. "How's Jenna? Have you gotten to third base yet?"

"I'm a basketball player, not a baseball player," edged Tyler with a glare. He wasn't oblivious, though. "But no. She doesn't want to yet, and I respect that."