4: Tyler Can Play the Piano

"Tyler?"

The brunette turned his head in the direction of Jenna's voice when she said it. He spaced out again, and was currently giving her a confused look that said without words that he wasn't paying attention.

She sighed and the sound seemed to ripple around their lunch table, the table right in the middle of the cafeteria, packed with muscular teenaged boys and preppy cheerleaders. Jenna was sitting all too close to Tyler, their thighs pressed together- all he could focus on was her warmth.

"Er- what?"

"I asked if you were going to take me to the dance tonight. It's- it's free."

Tyler paused and pondered that for a moment. He really needed to practice basketball - he needed to make at least thirty baskets in a row a day so his father wouldn't bitch about his future and his career. But he was with Jenna, and she did take all that romantic stuff, like dances, seriously. If she wanted to go, Tyler decided he'd have to take her.

He eventually sighed, coming to the conclusion. "Okay, sure."

She let out a sound of content, turning slightly to peck him on the lips. "Thank you, I really appreciate it. I'll text you the time tonight."

"Okay," said Tyler with a sweet smile and a nod. He didn't get to say much else before the sharp sound of the school bell was going off, and everyone around him was grabbing their bags and such in preparation for their next classes. He stood with a sigh and slung his backpack over his shoulder, noticing Jenna copying his movements. They had different classes this period.

"Bye," said Jenna with a faux pout as she went on her tippy-toes to kiss Tyler on the cheek. "See you later."

Tyler gave her a warm smile. She could be so adorable. "Yeah. See you then."

There was a mass eruption of giggles as the other members of the cheer squad pulled Jenna away from him, saying things to her like 'you two are so cute!' and such. They weren't wrong. Tyler watched on with a fake frown as Jenna extended her arms toward him, being pulled away against her will- eventually they both broke character and smiled at each other, laughing. That was enough of a goodbye, and they both turned around at nearly the same time, walking off in separate directions.

Tyler noticed a pair of eyes watching from the teacher's table, where the teachers on supervision sat quietly, away from the rambunctious students. He turned his head ever so slightly to see Mr. Dun, which didn't surprise Tyler at all. It was weird, since he barely knew him and on top of that, he shouldn't need to get to know a teacher, but Tyler felt almost comfortable around him.

Mr. Dun was kind of looking at him strangely, but strange in the kind of way where his face was straight. His lips were pressed together. Tyler began to wonder if he saw Jenna and him- was that a bad thing, to show affection towards her at school?

To break the thought process and the awkwardness, Tyler flashed him a bright smile as he walked by and down the hallways. Weird.

Tyler didn't have class today, because the third period teacher was sick and there wasn't a supply in to teach for him. Therefore, he had a free period to do whatever he wanted- and with that, Tyler headed off toward the music room, which was usually empty around this time.

After a moment of walking down an empty corridor that seemed like forever, he reached the door to the music room and turned the handle. He walked through the door, allowing himself to be amazed as he was each time he entered the room. His eyes sparkled.

The room had everything in it- a medium sized, light brown wooden piano, a bright red drum set, a few electronic pianos here and there- rows of clarinets and trumpets, and rows of guitar cases against the wall. There was much more in stacks everywhere, but those were the main things that amazed the brunette.