End of the Day

The wind blew my hair over my shoulders as I continued to stare at my feet. The shingles of the roof were cool to the touch and the moon shone brightly covering everything in soft white light.

"How'd you get out here." I jumped as a voice cut through the silence. I looked over my shoulder to see Simon stepping out of his window and onto the roof with me.

"Vik left his window open and I needed some fresh air." I said softly.

"I'm sorry for making it weird back there." He apologized, sitting a few feet from me. I sighed and tucked my knees closer to me.

Just about half an hour before this moment, I was having the time of my life. We were at the sidemen house celebrating Josh and Freya's engagement. I had come with Will - my boyfriend of three months - and we were all sat around having drinks and sharing a laugh.

"I'm so happy for you guys I could genuinely cry." I said wiping the corner of my eye with my jumper.

"Don't cry! I'll start crying!" Gee said dramatically causing me to laugh.

I curled myself into Will's side and he pressed a kiss to my head.

Simon made his way into the room and had sat next to me - much like he was now - and he started to talk about his feelings. Specifically his feelings for me.

I can remember Will overhearing and the words that came out of his mouth. "I'd normally let your flirting go by but now that you seem serious, I'm not letting that happen." He had protectively put his arm around me and I had left the room, not wanting to be anywhere near that situation.

Of course, Will had followed me, Simon just a few feet behind him. I stopped them halfway up the staircase. "Please, I just need a minute alone." Will had nodded and kissed my cheek, leaving Simon to nod apprehensively and back away.

Now here we sat. Confused, possibly scared, and clearly upset.

"Y/n..." Simon started.

"Simon where the hell was all of this six months ago? When I had poured my heart and soul out to you only to have you tell me you only saw me as a friend and to leave me and my broken heart outside of that club." His face moved to speak but I stopped him.

-My memory flashed to that night. Where I had been so sure that Simon and I were going to finally become something. Him and I had always flirted. Harmlessly, or so I had thought.

I had the help of Freya and Gee to transform me into a better version of myself. I had turned into the most confident version of me that I could. I was ready to finally talk to Simon about how I felt.

"Vodka Red Bull please" his smooth voice drew my attention towards him as he spoke to the bartender over my shoulder. His hand rested on my side as he waited.

"You look nice tonight." He had said, smiling at me.

"Thank you, as do you." My stomach had been full of butterflies and my heart so full of love that it was bound to spill over any time.

"Can I speak with you? Outside?" I had asked.

"Sure thing." I had led him outside and I leaned against the cool brick of the building.

"What did you want to say?"

"I wanted to talk about us. As in us as a couple. I've liked you for a very long time Simon. I notice the way you look and talk to me. It's not the same way you treat other girls. I'm not the only one who's noticed it either." He had stood there silently, just watching me ramble on.

"I'm sorry. I don't feel the same."

-The memory faded from my thoughts as I was drawn back to reality by a small cough from Simon.

"You treated me as though I was nothing to you. And now you're here telling me I'm everything. I'm so confused Simon."

"I was scared! I knew you liked me and I liked you so much. I'm not a relationship person and you know that. I was so scared I would fuck everything up and lose you altogether so I just pretending like I didn't feel the same. I was wrong and now I'm here trying to make this right."

"You didn't jump Simon. You could have admitted your feelings then and there and we could have been something. You're too late now. I've moved on. I'm with Will now and there's no changing my mind." I got up to leave and as soon as I reached the window I heard him say something to me.

"I'm in love with you Y/n." I froze there for a second, letting that sink in.

"But I don't love you. Not like that." And with that I stepped inside.