Chapter 1 - London Town

A shiver raced down my spine as my friends and I climbed off the train into the Cambridge area. Even though winter had already officially ended a week ago, the wind was still cold as it cut through parts of my coat to the unprotected bits of my skin. I adjusted my black beanie before tugging my luggage with me so I could catch up with the rest of the group.

Mackenzie seemed to notice that I was falling behind even though she clung close to Cody for warmth. She paused, halting him along with her as she tells the others, "Hold on guys, Amber's having a hard time."

She lets go of her boyfriend and hurries over to adjust my scarf around my neck. Her golden-brown eyes lingered on the skin of my throat for a moment before she went back to her business.

"I'm glad you agreed to this trip, I really am." She softly tells me and I knew that she had meant more than us simply coming to England.

I nodded, "Me too."

Lea and Blake sent me concerned glances as I caught up with them, but Blake was the one to speak, "How are you holding up?"

I shrugged saying, "I'll be better when we get somewhere warm."

The walk took us a good fifteen minutes or so before we reached the university, but the second we made our way inside, I let out a sigh of relief. A blanket of warm air enveloped me as we were lead to the room where our orientation was to be held. The heat nearly had me on the verge of falling asleep through most of it, thankfully Lea kept nudging me to make sure that I remained awake.

Once it was over we were all given our room numbers. I was relieved that they had went along with Mackenzie, Lea, and I's request to be put together. Cody and Blake had to share with another guy that we met on the train. So, everyone appeared to be happy with their rooming.

Since it was getting sort of late we were all told to head up to our rooms to get our things unpacked. Since we worked together, we were done rather quickly.

"I can't get over how beautiful this place is!" Lea exclaimed as she flopped down on her newly made bed. "I mean seriously have you all seen the architecture around here? You can almost feel how old this place is!"

Mackenzie shook her head as she closed the dresser drawer beside my bed. "Lea, I understand that your majoring in World History, but do you have to geek out on us already?"

Lea stuck her tongue out at her and remarked, "I just thought I should point it out."

"Well, the only beauty I want to stare at right now is the inside of my eyelids." I mutter as I yank my pillow over my face.

I heard them chuckle and quietly agree with me. It literally only took me a few seconds of silence before I was drifting to sleep. Right as I passed out, a blanket was draped across me.

***

Three weeks into our time abroad I finally got into the swing of things. It took the rest of my friends a lot less time, meaning that they had already managed to get bored of the Cambridge area. I was in the middle of going over my notes of today's lecture when Blake burst into the room, Cody hot on his heels.

"Amber! Let's get moving! We're heading out to London!" Blake commands as he takes a seat on my bed so swiftly that it rattles the frame.

I shook my head muttering, "Can't. I need to study."

"You and I both know that you probably already know that stuff like the back of your hand." Cody tells me with a smirk.

"Yeah, come on, you deserve a break." Blake adds as he gives me a pleading look.