Chapter 7 - A Warning

I was still on edge when I made it back to the campus and I made sure to call Chris while I was still in the elevator. I frowned when it went to voicemail, but I decided against calling him again and left him a message saying I had made it back. That didn't stop the knots in my stomach from forming and twisting uncomfortably. I fished my keys out of my pocket when I reached my room and as quietly as I could unlock the door. Right when I stepped inside my phone dinged, telling me that I had received a text.

I didn't hesitate to rip my phone out of my pocket and I was so glad to see that it was Chris. It read, 'Sorry I didn't answer your call. I was in the shower, but I'm happy that you made it back in one piece. Despite the bad ending to our night, I still had fun.'

I couldn't help smiling softly at his message, but the sudden flip of a lamp coming on made my head snap up in fear. Lea was still gripping the dangling light switch cord as she glared at me from her bed.

"What did you turn the light on for?" Mackenzie fussed as she rolled towards the wall and tugged the covers over her head.

"Amber finally decided to come back." Lea replies in a clipped tone.

"Oh, so, how did it go?" She asked me, her voice muffled by her blankets.

I ignored the dirty look Lea threw in Kenzie's direction saying, "It actually went really well, but I'll explain it more in the morning."

She let out a long yawn, "Sounds good."

I avoided making eye contact with Lea as I got ready for bed and as I slipped under my comforter, she finally decides to speak again.

"Are you going to see him again then?"

I gave her a tiny smirk mumbling, "Maybe."

She let out a frustrated sigh and turned the light back off. Before I called it a night I sent Chris a response saying, 'Me too. We should do it again some time.'

Right before I drifted off he replied, 'I'd love that.'

The next day in the middle of the library Mackenzie let out a squeal of delight as I explained the events of last night between Chris and me. Several people shushed her, sending her irritated looks.

She reddened and made sure to lower her voice as she says, "The more you tell me about him, the more I like him. That's it, I've made my decision. You can keep him."

Lea made a noise of disgust from the table next to ours and Cody looked like he wanted to throw his book at her right then. I honestly wish Lea would just let go of her hostility already, but I chose to just focus on Mackenzie.

I chuckled, "You need to calm down."

"So, were you really followed?" She asked, changing the subject a bit.

"It seemed like it."

She shivered slightly, "Just the thought of it freaks me out."

I nodded in agreement and I caught the sound of Lea muttering something under her breath, which prompted Cody to get up from his seat.

He made his way over to us and kneeled down next to Mackenzie suggesting, "What do you say we cut this study break short?"

She nodded, "Sure, my brain could use the rest."

They began to get their things together and when Cody peered over his shoulder at me he calls, "You coming, Amber?"

I rushed to gather my stuff and then jogged after them. As we stepped out of the library I briefly looked back at Lea, finding her glowering at the textbook in front of her. I frowned at the sight, but I decided to keep following my other two friends.