Chapter 28 - Unwanted Answers

Chris managed to at least get his jeans back on before passing out on my bed. I chuckled at the sight before draping a blanket over him and heading to the bathroom to clean myself up. I took a quick shower and changed into some shorts and an old Rammstein shirt with cut-out sides. When I stepped back into the main part of my dorm room, I found that Chris was still fast asleep and no one else had shown up yet.

I texted Mackenzie to see where she was and she said that she and Blake were on their way back, but they wouldn't be here until about fifteen minutes from now. So, I guess that meant I could have some alone time with these books. I glanced over my shoulder at Chris, watching the slow rise and fall of his chest, I wanted to make sure that he wasn't awake. I let out a shaky breath as I sat down at the desk and pulled out the two books, I was already fairly familiar with one of them, so I focused on the 'New World Order'.

It was just as old as the other one, so I was careful as I flipped through the pages.

'To begin the rebirth there must first be four offerings.'

The words seemed to jump out at me as I read over the book and I was fairly certain that I knew what was meant by 'offerings'.

'These offerings must be a sigil of birth and renewal, for that is what is being called after.'

'The new Lord will make himself known in small ways. These signs will be subtle at first with things like trouble recalling past events and sharp changes in mood. The more prominent indications will come the closer it is to the time of the 'New World Order'.'

Something about that made my stomach twist with dread, but I brushed it aside for the moment and continued to read.

'During a time of quiet, the new Lord will seek out a match for his vessel, something of highly important emotional significance. This match will come to be crucial in the time of the final ritual.'

"Amber?" A voice softly calls out to me and I turn to find Mackenzie slipping into the dorm room with a bag of food in hand. She gives me a soft and yet knowing sort of smile after she takes a peek at Chris's sleeping form in my bed as she whispers, "Did you wear him out?"

I let out a breathy laugh as I shrug and she hands me the bag saying, "There's a sandwich in there, vegan of course, for Chris if he wants it, if not just toss it in the mini fridge. I'm sure Lea will find it when she gets back."

"Where has she been all day anyway?"

"She and Kamaria have been buried in some project for their historical architecture class all day. It's kind of ridiculous considering that they just received the assignment today."

I took a wrapped sandwich out of the bag as I murmured, "Well, she's always been that way with schoolwork, I doubt it will change by now."

Mackenzie chuckled as she nodded in agreement, "You have a point."

Chris grumbled in his sleep as he rolled onto his side, making Kenzie and I pause as we waited to see if he was going to wake up.

When he didn't Mackenzie spoke in a hushed voice as she told me, "Cody wanted me to come eat with him, so it should give you more time to study and be by yourself with Chris."

I rolled my eyes at her added remark before sarcastically saying, "Well, isn't that kind of you."

She stuck her tongue out at me before hurrying back out the door with a wave. Now that I was relatively alone once more, I turned back to the N.W.O. book to see what other secrets it held.

I picked up right where I had left off.

'The matches offering will stand out from the four others, as they provide a more vital sacrifice during the last step in the ritual. It will represent the bond between the host and the match.'