Chapter 11 - A Lesson

I accompanied Lea and Kamaria to a small cafe that wasn't too far from campus the next day. I came to find out that Kamaria was the type of person that could only be described as blunt, unafraid, and larger than life. I took a quick liking to her as a result of those things. She brushed her dark blue hair out of her face and takes a sip of her drink as Lea and her discussed something that I had gotten lost on. My thoughts constantly were getting pulled towards the possibilities of this evening as I swirled my tea around in its cup.

"So, how has your brother been lately?" Lea questions, worry dripping into her tone, but none the less my attention was finally caught.

Kamaria let out a heavy sigh as she shook her head. "He's still hung up in that Ripper business. Talking all the time about that thing rising up to its rightful place of power."

"I'm so sorry to hear that. I don't understand what would make him want to believe in something so awful."

"They all believe that thanks to the book they have that tells..." Kamaria lifts her hands to make air quotations, "the true story of Jack the Ripper."

I was oddly compelled back that bit of info and finally spoke up, "They have a book?"

She nodded her head frantically, "Can you believe that he had the nerve to give me a copy of it?"

I quirked an eyebrow at that. "What did it say?"

"Not sure, I haven't ever opened it before."

I found myself disappointed, I thought that maybe Kamaria could give me some sort of answer about this whole mess. I had hoped for some sort of clue, and then I got an idea.

"Do you think I could borrow the book?" I ask without thinking how strange my request must sound.

Her expression was just as confounded as Lea's, no wonder they got along. "What for?"

I didn't know what sort of normal reasoning I could provide for her, so I gave a weak lie, "It just has me curious. I'm a literature major after all."

"If I can find it again, sure." She tells me, even though she was clearly apprehensive about the choice.

The conversation shifted away from the uncomfortable topic and onto other lighter things. All the while my mind remained on that book. Might there possibly be something mentioned in its pages that these cult members had to commit these murders themselves in the name of Jack? Was it likely that this book might be the key to clearing Chris's name?

Well after my meal with Lea and Kamaria, Chris and I made our trek to the police station. I felt ill prepared of the night ahead and I dreaded what we might see. On the other hand, I found myself secretly relieved when Hudson left his work sooner than expected.

"We need to be extremely careful this time since the sun is still out." Chris warns before we start off.

To Chris's amusement, I made certain that I had my hood over my head this time, so I was a bit more prepared. Just like last time, I allowed Chris to lead the way, putting him in charge of keeping us out of sight. Every now and then, he would hold me back to allow Hudson some space. I absentmindedly wondered how we appeared to the people around us, but I knew better than to dwell on it for too long.

I began to worry the moment we stepped off the train into a different part of London. Did the cop know that he was being followed? Chris didn't seem to share the same apprehension as we continued after Hudson. This part of the city had a much older feel to it, with cobble stone alleyways and the building's showing signs of water erosion. My heart began to race when I found a sign telling us just where we were. The words were written in bold black lettering that had become grimy with age.