Chapter 31 - The Leader

A few nights later, I found myself accompanying Darien into that gloomy dungeon yet again, but this time I had a reason for being there.  

"Would I have to remove my hood if I wanted to speak with Roy?" I question as we take our usual spot in the back of the group. 

"You don't have to, but if you're after keeping who you are a secret, that small hood won't help much."

I nodded in agreement, he had a point and at this point, I think Roy has already taken notice of me. I've shown up to these meetings too many times not to stand out now. I decided to somewhat change the subject after that. "So, whenever we don't have these meetings, is this place like a full-time sex dungeon?" 

Even in the dim light, I could read the embarrassment on his features. "I'm not totally sure actually, but I've heard before that there's a pay-to-get-in type of party that starts on Friday nights and ends on Saturday morning."

"How did you find that out?"

"I've heard Roy talk about it before, it had something to do with our own scheduling."

I did my best to keep the look on my face neutral, even though I found that a bit strange, but then again I guess if someone was running a cult they would need to keep things like that in order. I watched Roy take his usual spot at the front of the cavernous room, running his hand over his slicked-back hair and I could have sworn I caught a glimpse of frustration on his face. He cleared his throat to gain everyone's attention and he gave them all that easy smile of his, one that always had a way of making my stomach turn. 

"The days are numbered now, my friends." He announces as his dark eyes scan the room. "The trials we are sure to face are nearly upon us and they will show who the true believers are in the end. I have received word that our New Lord has made his final selections for the ritual and now we must only be patient. We all know our expected roles and we need to be prepared at a moment's notice to fulfill them. The success of the New World Order lies in each of your hands, we can't fail our Lord now, not in the final hour." 

The air around us seemed to hold a quiet, yet charged energy when Roy paused to let his words sink in. It was clear to see that this man knew that his preachings held power over these people. Kim had mentioned that Roy was a madman, but it was becoming easy to see that he was extremely intelligent and he had a way of speaking that could get others to listen and agree. With that sort of gift in the wrong hands, a person could cause unforeseeable damage without having to lift a single finger. 

Everyone in the room waited anxiously for his next statement and I could feel the tension wrapping tightly around my heart. 

He appeared to lean in closer to the group, speaking in a calm tone, "More sacrifices will need to be made for the sake of the New World Order, for the good of our children, families, and future generations to come. I truly hope that you all grasp that we will have a hand in bringing about peace to this world, but there will be a fight unlike any other ahead of us."

It wasn't much longer after that when the meeting was finished up and I was more than nervous about what I intended to do next. I clenched my fists as they began to sweat, worrying that this was probably a horrible idea, but I was willing to take the risk.  

"Do you think it would be possible for me to have a word with Roy? I feel like I should have introduced myself by now." I ask Darien before he can turn to head back through the tunnels. 

He bit at the side of his lip as he mulled it over before shrugging, "Sure, he doesn't seem too busy."

He guided me to the front of the room, heading straight for the leader of this depraved cult. Roy was in the middle of gathering up some papers when his head rose as we approached. He gave Darien a warm smile and shook his hand, then his gaze drifted over to me and I felt my heart rate spike.