Chapter 45 - Blood Bath

"What the hell do we do?" Mackenzie questioned as her gaze flitted around us like she was expecting someone to appear out of thin air.

My own eyes never truly trailed away from Chris as I tried to work out what to do. Despite my unease, my worry for him won the battle as I reached out to touch the least blood-spattered part of his cheek to try and wake him. His skin was only faintly warm against my fingertips and before the panic could truly grip me, his golden-brown eyes fluttered open.

"Am-Amber," He stammered as he appeared to slowly become aware of his surroundings and when he glanced down to see the state he was in, he let out a shaky sort of sob. "What... what happened? How did I even get here?"

I shook my head, "I don't know. Are you in pain right now?"

"No, I don't hurt, just cold."

"We should get him inside," Mackenzie states as her head whips around, clearly searching for something in the courtyard we resided in the middle of. "I have a feeling that we might not be alone out here and it could be whoever did this."

"Shouldn't we call an ambulance?" I questioned as I hesitated to move him in fear that I could make whatever injuries he might have worse by doing so.

"We can do it in the dorm, let's just get inside first," Mackenzie says with a pleading edge to her voice that I wasn't used to hearing from her.

"Okay, come on then, Chris. We'll go get you cleaned up." I murmur as I decide to disregard the sickening state of his clothing as I try to pull him to his feet.

He did his best to lift himself off of the ground, but a wave of dizziness came over him and he nearly toppled back to the earth before I could manage to steady him. I let out a huff from the effort of keeping his lengthy form from falling down as I peered over my shoulder to say, "Kenzie, give me a hand, please. He's too heavy."

She hurried over to help me hoist him into a standing position as Chris tried and failed to carry some of his own weight. As we staggered in the direction of our dorm building I glanced back at the spot Chris had been lying in, finding that there were barely any bloodstains on the area.

"Who did this to you?" I ask Chris as we slowly make our way inside of the uncomfortably quiet front entrance.

"I have no idea. The last thing I even really remember is saying goodbye to you this morning."

"You don't remember the entire day?" I question, finding it almost too hard to believe.

"He's probably in shock." Mackenzie offered as we shuffled into the elevator.

I watched the expression of distress in his wide eyes shift into panic as he gaped at himself in the mirrored walls of the elevator. It was clear that this was the first time he'd seen himself and it was almost mesmerizing to watch the way tears rimmed his eyes at the sight. I had never seen him this upset before and it was causing a war inside of me on just what I should feel. There were so many conflicting things going on in my mind, but I decided to just focus on making sure that he was alright.

We ushered him straight into the bathroom as soon as we set foot in our dorm. Kenzie rushed to turn on the shower after we'd made him sit on the closed toilet and I swiftly removed his dirty shoes before grabbing a washcloth to dampen it under the lukewarm shower spray. I carefully reached out to wipe the dried blood splotches from his face as he watched us warily. Other than being understandably pale, there seemed to be nothing wrong with his face, so I lowered my hands to undo his soiled shirt.

"Okay, whenever you're ready, the water should be warm enough now," Mackenzie tells him and at that, his hands gingerly push mine away as he gets up to climb in the tub, still fully clothed.