Chapter 9 - Vice Grip

I had been in the middle of zipping up my black skinny jeans when Lea burst from the bathroom with a toothbrush still dangling from in between her lips.

"When were you planning on telling me that you saw a dead body last night?" She demanded, spitting out a small bit of toothpaste.

I resisted making a face of disgust as I explained, "We aren't sure if the person was even dead, they seemed like they might have just passed out on the ground."

As I told her that, my thoughts drifted back to the blood I had found on the ground, making my stomach roll. Even if the person hadn't died, they did manage to lose a lot of blood somehow. I had yet to hear anything on the news about it though, so I clung to the hope that it wasn't as bad as it had seemed.

"Well, I would have rather have heard it from you and not just gotten a text from Blake about it."

I made a mental note to have a word with Blake about that once I saw him, but I question her, "Since when were you my mother?"

"I never claimed to be, but I thought we were at least friends that talked to each other about crazy shit like what happened last night!"

"And I thought that you would be enough of a friend to trust my decisions on who I spend my time with, but I guess we were both wrong." I say in a cold voice.

Her eyes sadden at that, but she muttered, "Whatever."

Lea finished getting herself ready before storming out of the room without saying anything else. I waited several minutes before adjusting my dark gray jacket over my AFI shirt and heading out as well.

I met up with Chris later at the train station in London. He had told me over the phone that he had come up with a plan to find out more about that creepy cop and that he needed my help to pull it off. Even though I was reluctant, I was more worried about what could happen to him if I didn't assist him. The train had finally let off its passengers, so I leaned against a wall, watching for Chris.

Our eyes seemed to meet at the same moment and we both sent each other little smiles as he approached. I was a bit surprised when Chris gave me a hug once he had reached me, but I didn't hesitate too long to return the gesture.

"Are you ready for this?" Chris asked as we made our way above ground.

"I'm a little nervous." I admit.

"Honestly, I am too."

"I just hope we can actually pull this off." I say more to myself than him.

"All we can do is try."

I stuck close to Chris as we approached the police station. My heart might as well have been in my mouth with the way it was trying to beat out of my chest from nerves. Chris must have sensed this because he brushed his shoulder against mine and gave me a ghost of a smile when I glanced at him. That seemed to help me calm down ever so slightly, there was something reassuring about how sure he behaved.

We stepped inside the building and I began searching the faces of the officers for the one that had approached me. It only took a few minutes to spot him sitting at his desk, eyes glued to the computer screen in front of him.

I grabbed Chris's arm to gain his attention as I whispered, "That's him."

"His badge says Hudson." Chris murmured in response. "Now what do we do?"

I glanced at the name plaque on his desk, Anthony Hudson. "I think we should go back to my dorm and do some research on this guy."

We hurried out of there before anyone took real notice of us and headed straight to campus. I was glad that we found my room empty, I wasn't ready to deal with Lea again just yet. Chris and I fell into a focused silence as we looked up anything we could find on this man, but after what felt like hours, I had come up empty handed.