one

"Tempted to succumb

Into the darkness that awaits

But life has to come"

...

JENNIE.

Well, guess what, I turned 18 yesterday. Consider that legally free but, I am never, actually. All people who are forced to be adults know that.

In my life, I only live for myself. I lost my mom when she was on her way here to Australia to start a new life with her unborn girl. Back in Korea, she was suffering from my abusive father, who was a total asshole even I didn't know him personally and I applaud my mom for taking the risk to go abroad where she can finally be free, for once at least.

But fate wanted our lives harder than it already was. She died 8 hours after I was born. Sad, right?

But I've got no time being depressed, I had a life to live. Luckily, I was raised by my foster parents, and I've been a good kid, I think.

I'll be on my senior year in High School next school year and I'm aiming to be our batch's valedictorian, just because my parents and my younger sister, Lisa, wants to hear me do a valedictory speech, since Lisa won't be able to do so. But honestly though, I'd still be great without that valedictorian entitled on me.

I just want them to see how thankful I am for taking me as their own. Afterall, I never belonged to anyone ever since mom died.

I'm spending this summer learning Hangul more. Silly, right? I'm a whole-blooded Korean yet the only Korean word I know is 'Oppa' and I can't even make sense out of it.

I go to book shops, libraries, and vintage cafés just to keep my mind relaxed, because sometimes Lisa makes it bothersome to stay at home

and speaking of Lisa, she's coming to bother me now, so early in the morning.

"Hey Jennie unnie, make me breakfast already!" she squeals to me as she distracts my 'reading-in-the-couch' morning routine. She clings to my right arm like a monkey, while I try to take her off of me immediately.

"What's with the unnie?! That sounds ridiculous." I said as I cringed to the word. "Gosh you're calling your own language ridiculous? That is just so racist, Jen." she replied.

"You think I know that?!" I said with a tone of justifying my ignorance. "That's a new Korean word I learned yesterday. Unnie is a honorific girls use to girls who are older than them...I think I'll be more korean than you at this speed." She boasted. "Shut up or I won't cook you breakfast." I closed my book, stood up from the couch and went to the kitchen and cooked an omelette for her.

Lisa is 2 years younger than me, but she bosses me around like she pays me to do work. She's quite perky but I still love her.

"I'd be going to the café now." I said as I hand over the omelette I cooked. "And that is why you'll die a virgin..." Lisa teased as she digs into her omelette, I begged to ignore.

I quickly grabbed my make up kit on the couch and colored my face, while Lisa still keeps on talking.
"Oh!I forgot to tell you, a family just moved in next door, be nice."

"Don't worry, I won't even bother meeting them." I said as I finished drawing my eyebrows.

Packed up few of my things and dashed off with my bike when I saw a pick-up truck parked next door. Seems like our new neighbours are busy unpacking.