Jake's Misadventure # 13: Scar Tissue.

After the party, Jake's life began to change forever.  Unrecognizable faces approach Jake with awesome tales of them watching Jake and company fight Mark and his cronies. By third period of the day, six people approached Jake before Jake's able to run into Tristan in the halls. 

"So apparently we're getting a lot of street cred about our fight at the party last weekend." Tristan shuts his locker and whips his bag over one shoulder. 

"This won't be good. Mark's ego is hurt, especially if people are talking. Expect Mark to come back and at least try to finish what he started." 

Walking down the hallway, Jake's mind wanders while Tristan continues to talk. Wandering over Beth encompassed his brain like a thought that refused to be removed. Since Beth has gotten together with Devin O' Lowry, Jake's been avoiding them like the black plague. To see her genuinely happy with someone else, continues to shatter his heart into an endless disarray of pieces. 

As he continues down the hallway to class, Jake notices Trish is stationed at the opposite end of the hallway. Sitting behind a wide table with a decorative cloth covering it's nature, Trish and some other girls are seen handing out flyers for the annual winter formal set a week before Christmas vacation. Jake turns to Tristan and unknowingly interrupts him, his eyes careful to not stare upward to Trish. 

"What do you think about this winter formal?" Tristan looks forward towards the tables. 

"It sounds lame. 'Night below the stars.' Sounds like they need someone to spike the punch." Tristan laughs before Jake raises a curious eyebrow. 

"Wow, I didn't hear a direct no from you Tristan Matthews. You actually plan on going?" 

Tristan smirks. 

"I haven't made up my mind yet." Jake playfully smacks Tristan's shoulder. 

"It sounds like you're awaiting an answer from a special someone!" Tristan smiles sheepishly, as his eyes instinctively look forward, towards Trish. After encountering her the other night, Tristan felt a new and mysterious aura about Trish. He couldn't shake off the feeling of her changing for the better. 

"We shall see. I'll see you later Foley." 

Tristan pats Jake on the back before walking away and disappearing among the sea of students. Looking forward, Jake sighs before walking down the hallway. Careful to not lookup, Jake begins to think he'll pass by unscathed. However, a voice calls out for Jake among the sea of students passing by. Jake instinctively looks up, only to regret doing so once he saw who said his name. Trish waives Jake over to the table. 

"Hi Jake. How are you doing this morning?" Jake shrugs his shoulders. 

"I've been doing okay. Tired already." Trish laughs as if he's said something funny. Trish quickly passes a flyer to Jake with a wide smile and glistening eyes.

"Well, I'm sorry to hear that Jake. The party last weekend was quite the success, that's of course before the cops showed up." Jake chuckles a bit. One thing he can't rag on Trish is her natural sense of humor. 

"Again, I'm really sorry about that--" Trish raises a palm. 

"No worries Jake. This entire school enjoyed Mark and his cronies get handled with. It was very manly of you to stick up for yourself like that. I didn't know you knew how to fight?"

Jake nervously caresses his fingers along the straps in his bag. 

"It's more instinctive then anything." As the conversation continues somewhat awkwardly, Jake's eyes dart to the end of the hallway, to see his waking nightmare in front of his eyes. Beth and Devin make their appearance on the first floor hallway with their hands entwined and Beth dawning Devin's football letter-man jacket. Jake's heart sunk into his chest.