1. Appalachian Getaway

The plane was not at all warm. The cold morning air seeped through Peter's suit, and he silently thanked the heavens for the heater Mr.Stark had installed. He sat in one of SHIELD's small carrier planes, a Quinjet, rubbing his hands together as he shivered in his seat. He glanced over at his partner-in-heroeing, Jack Russell, AKA Werewolf, who was sitting calmly in his own seat next to Peter, his eyes closed and his head back. He had gotten into the habit of not sleeping at night, but nodding off almost everywhere else. Peter was almost annoyed at him, for he didn't have to worry about the cold due to his thick, fluffy fur pelt. He was also slightly irritated by Jack's serenity, because while he was meditating, Peter was having a nervous breakdown.

To keep his mind off his upcoming mission and the turbulence of the plane, he started thinking about his life recently. December had arrived, and Peter was at a high-point in his life. He had an amazing girlfriend, he had an awesome roommate and crime partner, and everything was just going great. Even as he went to go complete a mission Mr.Stark had laid out for him, he felt happy.

It had been two months since Dr.Curt Connors had tried to upend New York City, and for two months, Peter had been having a great time. Crime was at an all-time low back in the city partly due to the presence of Jack, or Werewolf to the public, and Peter figured that criminals didn't like the idea of being hunted be a literal lycan.

Peter and Jack had set up a system, one where they took shifts in crime fighting. It allowed them both to actually have free time, which gave Peter the opportunity to hang with Ned, go out on dates with MJ and attend decathlon meetings and tournaments. It also gave Jack an opportunity to earn a good reputation with the public. So far, he was doing rather well, and crime had dropped dramatically.

Except for a person or persons-of-interest who were hiding away in a mountain hideout in the Appalachians, far away from prying eyes. Mr.Stark hadn't given him much to go on, but nevertheless wanted Peter to investigate the premises and find the target. The Avenger had done excessive drone sweeps of the area and had sealed off the hideout, which was speculated to be a warehouse of some kind. Tony thought Peter could handle that. This was Peter's first mission given to him by Mr.Stark that took place outside New York, and he was about to risk screwing it up by going it alone. Besides, he had a date tonight, and he wasn't keen on missing it.

"Jack Attack, are you there?" Peter called over his communicator, since the plane was far too loud for them to talk normally. Mr.Stark had given Peter and Jack a communication device so they could better be in sync with each other. Jack had to get a special one made because of his triangular ears.

"Roger," Jack replied, his blue eyes flipping open. Because of the terrain they would be facing, he was sporting crisp white fur, to better blend in with his surroundings. It only made his eyes glow out of his head even more.

Jack was wearing the new dark tactical pants Mr.Stark had specially made him, which had knee and shin guards. It had a little wolf head imprinted on the belt buckle, as a neat touch. They morphed with his size, and they zipped up in the back because his tail needed room to move, and also for when he was a human. Also, he wore sleeveless bullet-proof body armor that protected his chest and back. It looked like something straight out of Gears of War. It even changed color with his fur. Even though he already had an extensive healing factor that could protect him from anything, Mr.Stark didn't want any surprise silver bullets to incapacitate him. But Jack was adamant against wearing a helmet, and Peter couldn't blame him. But Peter thought it was nice that his mentor cared for Jack's well-being, but knew that if by any chance Jack went down, there would be no one to protect Peter. If anything, Mr.Stark was protecting Jack to better protect the web-slinger.

One piece of advice that Mr.Stark had given him was to follow his instincts on this mission, and do the right thing. Whoever the person-of-interest turned out to be, it was strictly enforced that they be brought back alive, so Jack was especially advised to not do any damage.