25. Convention Cameo

The next day, Friday, Midtown was also closed, much to Peter's joy. The snowplows and even some of Damage Control worked tirelessly all day to clear the snow off the roads. So, to celebrate their off day, he had Ned and MJ invited over for a Star Wars marathon, since watching The Force Awakens kind of inspired him to watch the rest.

But the one thing that he was really excited for was the big video game convention he and Ned were going to. It had finally arrived, and Peter couldn't be happier that it hadn't been cancelled due to snow. He and Ned would see a panel all about the new Star Wars game and a bunch of others. He would go in his Spider-Man suit, just like other people would dress up as superheroes as well. He had once seen a Captain America, several Thors and a few Black Widows, as well as a full-functioning Iron Man suit. He had yet to see any Spider-Men, but then again, maybe he wasn't popular enough for such an honor.

He pulled on his jacket before they left, finding the disc that served as Jack's armor still inside. Because he was already late getting to the car, he just shoved it into his backpack. His friend didn't wear it on patrols anyway, so it didn't matter that much in the long run.

After Aunt May dropped them off for the day, he made sure to get a picture of himself and Ned and send it to both MJ and Jack. The werewolf was on duty guarding the city, but his response was quick.

Moon Moon:
Haha ya look good

While MJ's reply was a little more straightforward.

Tall One <3:
Nerds

The convention hall's main floor was absolutely jam packed with people. Peter kept his mask off, the article stuffed deep within his backpack with his lanyard hanging loosely around his neck. There was a crowd of observers watching the indoor Assassins Creed Challenge, and others looking at new releases or standing in lines to go into different halls for panels.

The cosplayers were out in full force this year, with Master Chiefs, Witchers, Dragonborns and several recognizable superheroes dotting the floors, as well as characters from World of Warcraft, Star Wars and a ton of different movie franchises. Even if Peter has been to a bunch of conventions before, the atmosphere never failed to blow his mind. He also saw something new this year: costume contests being held around the convention center, all based on who looked like the best superhero they dressed as. And to his utter amazement, there was a Spider-Man look-a-like contest! Apparently, it had been held to pay homage to the city's hometown hero. Peter couldn't believe how many people had actually dressed up as him! It was amazing seeing so many Spider-Men running around, and it made his heart swell with joy. As he and Ned got to the stage where the contest was, they had arrived just in time to see who won.

Peter had to admit, he wouldn't have picked him.

"Aw yeah, who's your Spider-Man!" The guy cheered, high-fiving people as he walked by. Peter thought that there must be some mistake, because this dude looked nothing like Spider-Man. His suit was black and red, with black patches over his white eyes. Peter didn't understand how he had won, because his suit didn't even have a spider emblem! Two katanas as well as a Hello Kitty backpack were strapped to his back and he seemed way too pleased with himself over winning.

"Why hello!" The guy suddenly noticed him and approached, much to Peter and Ned's surprise, "pleasure meeting you in this fanfiction! Sorry to crash your storyline, but I saw this headcanon on Pinterest and it needed to be added."

Peter quirked an eyebrow, not understanding a thing he was saying. He talked way too fast and way too ecstatically for Peter to really grasp his words. "I'm sorry, but do I, uh, know you?"

The stranger shook his head, his tone jovial as he spoke. "Not in this timeline, you don't, but in the cartoons, we're the best of friends." He readjusted his backpack. "You see, I'm only a cameo, so I'm not supposed to hang around. I'm just here for the pleasure of the readers!"