32. Knight Time

*MJ's pov*

MJ stayed at the library for what must have been hours. She had been caught up studying for her literature test and had lost track of time. She wasn't sure when Peter would be done with his "training lesson" with Jack and Gwen, so she took her time. She even doodled some sketches into Peter's notebook for him to look at later, signing "for the nerd" under each one. But when the sky got dark outside, she realized it might be time to head home. She shoveled her books and Peter's notebook into her bag and set off into the cold night air. Peter might even be on his way back from wherever he was by now. As she walked down the street, she rubbed her hands together to fight off the chill. But the shiver that ran up her spine, she noticed, wasn't entirely due to the cold.

Now, MJ can sense two things; when someone's about to say something stupid, and when she's being watched. This time, it's the latter.

It's a weird feeling. It's like she can feel her heartbeat pick up and she is set on edge, her fight-or-flight reflexes becoming wired. It's foreboding, but when she casually looked around, she doesn't see anyone.

But that doesn't mean no one's there.

MJ fumbled through her pocket and pulled out her phone. She quickly searched for Peter's number and dialed, putting the phone to her ear again as she looped both her arms through her backpack straps. If it came down to running, she's not dropping anything. She's got homework to turn in.

She listened to the ringing of the line for about thirty seconds before Peter picked up.

"Hey, Em! If you're calling about my notebook, just know I'm on the bridge on my way to get it," Peter hastily said, and MJ smiled until she realized what she was calling for.

She knew that making her voice sound urgent in any way might tip off her stalker, but they knew she was calling a boy, more specifically, her boyfriend, they might get what she was doing. So, she went with a different approach, and she desperately hoped that Peter was more clever than he looked.

"Hey, mom, I'll be home in a bit, okay," MJ said, keeping her tone as casual-sounding as possible.

"Uh, MJ, you know you called me, right? Peter?"

God, what a dork, she inwardly thought, but she pressed on. She could hear the soft whirring of an engine somewhere behind her, but when she looked back, she saw nothing. It hadn't sounded like a car, for it was shriller and more high-pitched.

"Mom, do you really have to pick me up?" MJ asked, and with a groan, she listed her current location as normally as possible. The weird engine noise was right on top of her now, and goosebumps broke out over her skin.

"Michelle, is something wrong?" He asked, his voice completely serious. He only ever used her real name when he was serious. She inwardly rejoiced that he had caught on.

"Yes, I got the book you wanted," she replied, casting another look over her shoulder. Whatever was making that sound was close, but she still couldn't see it.

"Are you being followed? Cough for yes," Peter then said, and she could tell he was starting to swing from the wind in the speaker on his side. MJ's heart soared when she realized he was on his way, and she coughed as harshly as she could, and he said, "okay, keep me on the line."

"And could you bring a snack? My stomach's killing me," MJ said, and the sound was louder than ever. Finally, it occurred to her to look up.

"I'll be there in five minutes."

But MJ didn't have five minutes, for five seconds later, her feet left the ground.

————————————