9. It Happened at Lunch

Peter and Ned were already eating by the time MJ and Jack came back to the cafeteria. They both seemed to be in good moods as they retrieved their meals, Jack's edge seemingly worn off and discarded. Peter watched them curiously as they sat down across from Ned and Peter, Jack reaching into his backpack to grab an extra sandwich.

"So, what happened with you, Jack?" Ned asked, and Peter stared only at MJ. She appeared unconcerned as she sipped at her tea, something she made herself every lunch, averting Peter's eyes but not altogether ignoring him. She gave him the tiniest of smiles, and that somehow comforted him.

Jack took a second to piece together a reply, and explained with an easy smile, "I felt really weird all of a sudden, like I was gonna throw up or something. Super random, but I'm feeling a little better now."

That wasn't it. There was no way that was it. Peter knew his friend was lying, seeing through his smiling facade. MJ must have known the truth, but she gave no hint, taking a small, hardbound book out of Jack's backpack and starting to read. She always kept a book in there, because she could always count on him to bring it everywhere. Peter frowned slightly, realizing she wasn't acting abnormally. Maybe Jack was in the right. It's not like MJ wouldn't tell him the truth if something different had happened.

Right?

"How about the Osborn kid?" Jack asked, changing the subject as he bit into his sandwich and pointed to Peter, "MJ told me you two used to be friends."

"Yeah, back in like the fifth grade," Peter replied with a shrug, "kinda surprised he recognized me. Did you see him, Em?"

"Wow, who goes "You know what this nickname needs? Another nickname." I mean, come on, Parker," MJ said with a raised eyebrow, her tone slightly mocking. That garnered a laugh from Jack, and she continued, "and yeah, I and Mr.Giggles here saw him in the hallway. We got invited to some party he's throwing tonight."

"Are you gonna go?" Ned asked, picking at his lunch with his fork.

"Well, I kinda have to thanks to him," she replied, shoving Jack with her elbow. She then turned her next question on the teenaged werewolf, "why do you even want to go. What if his dad is there?"

"What does that matter?" Peter asked, confused on why Jack would worry himself over that.

Jack lowered his head, his eyes on the table and ignoring Peter's question. "I thought about that, but I just figured we'd show up then leave."

Wow, did Peter exist anymore? Why were they not telling him what was going on? He couldn't understand why Jack would be afraid of Mr.Osborn, and the fact that they wouldn't tell him was slowly eating at him.

"My pal my friend my buddy, that's not how a high school party works," Ned said, shaking his head, "nobody shows up then just leaves right after."

"Debatable," MJ quipped, giving Peter a pointed look.

Peter frowned. "That was one time."

MJ nodded half-heartedly, using her book to hide her amused smile. Jack was eyeing them, and he leaned over to whisper to Ned.

"You're gonna tell me about that later, right?"

Ned nodded vigorously, and Jack sat back with a knowing grin. The four went on to talk about menial things for the rest of lunch, about how the decathlon team was being led to another Nationals due to MJ's leadership. It would be held in Boston this year in just a few weeks, and Peter was apprehensive about going.

"Bro, I can handle things here for a weekend," Jack assured him, "go have your nerdy fun, worry-free."

"I don't want to throw all that on you though," Peter grumbled.