33. Domesticity

After a quick search for MJ's phone, which now had a shattered screen, Peter took her to his apartment. When they got there, there was a note on the fridge that said Aunt May had gone to bed already, and that there was leftover pasta in the fridge for him. MJ then told her parents herself that she wasn't feeling well after being at the library and that she was staying with the Parkers. They were okay with it and her father would pick her up first thing in the morning.

Peter wouldn't let her talk until she was all snuggled up on the couch. He didn't think May would appreciate it if they were alone in his room and he didn't want Jack coming in and start assuming... things. Then it would be awkward for everyone and the last thing he wanted was Jack giving him sly little grins and eyebrow wiggles. There was nothing worse than a snarky werewolf.

Well, maybe an almost-kidnapped MJ might have him beat.

After she had settled and was cozy enough on the couch for Peter's satisfaction, she launched into the whole story about how "Snowflake" swooped out of the sky and scooped her up. MJ had known she was being watched but would never have guessed it was by some loony on a hoverboard. She went on to say that he had growled that "the dog would come for you".

"Did he say why?" Peter asked, curious.

"I asked him, but he didn't answer," MJ replied with a shrug, "I have no idea who he is, before you ask."

"I wasn't going to ask," Peter pointed out, twiddling his thumbs. He knew better than to think she would know. It's not like the White Knight picked her up and went 'hey! I'm so-and-so and here's a PowerPoint presentation of why I want Werewolf!'

Things were not as easy as that.

There was silence between them for a moment, and Peter just couldn't stop reliving the moment of watching her fall. What if he hadn't caught her? What if he'd been a second too late? She'd be dead on the street and it would've been his fault. He visibly grimaced at the thought, and shook his head. He couldn't allow that to happen. He just couldn't.

"It's not your fault, you know," MJ suddenly said, and he glanced over to her and saw her staring at him intently. Sometimes, he swore she could read his mind. "That I got kidnapped or whatever. It's not."

Peter reached over and pulled her legs over his lap. He found that he needed to touch her, just to remind himself that she was really there, that she hadn't fallen to her death and that this wasn't some dream his brain was hallucinating. MJ extended her hand and rested her palm on his cheek, and he leaned into her touch.

"He wasn't even after you," she pointed out, "so don't beat yourself up, okay loser?"

He wasn't even after you.

Peter's eyes went wide at the phrase, and he sat up straight, eyebrows knit together as he stared ahead. He muttered, more to himself than MJ, "he was after Jack."

Was this on Jack then? What could the Snowflake Man want with MJ if he was after the lycan? Peter assumed it was because he must know that she takes their pictures, but everyone took their picture nowadays. Maybe because she did it more? Had a standing occupation revolving around it? Why was he after Jack in the first place? Who even was he?

"Yeah, but let's not dwell on that," MJ replied, "we can ask him about it tomorrow, okay? He might have some of the answers we need."