21. Reporter or Photographer

*MJ pov*

"So how did you come to know those two, Michelle?" Harry asked as he and MJ walked down a snowy street.

MJ flipped her hair out of her eyes. "Who?"

"Werewolf and Spider-Man?" Harry clarified, "like, how'd you become their photographer?"

MJ shrugged as she held up her camera to take a picture of a streetlight. "I met Spider-Man through Peter. They know each other through his internship at Stark Industries. Werewolf came later on when they teamed up against Dr.Connors, the Oscorp scientist. I don't know if you know the story but that guy went crazy and became a dinosaur."

"Yeah, I heard about that," Harry mumbled, his gaze shifting as he swiveled away from the subject, "Did you say Peter interns for Tony Stark?"

"Yeah, but he never talks about it," MJ took a turn and headed into Central Park, taking a picture of the trees that were laden with snow.

Harry was quiet a second, his own camera hanging loose in his hand. MJ could sense his unease, yet she blamed that on his meeting with the imposing Werewolf. Yet he still seemed jittery, like something was bugging him.

"How old are they anyway?" He finally asked, yet MJ could tell that wasn't the question he wanted to ask.

"I don't know, on the young side," she mumbled in response. She didn't like him being so nosey, but she couldn't blame him for being curious. Most people were when they found out she had some powerful acquaintances, "the wolf isn't as old as he seems."

"They're Avengers though, right? Do you ever go to their big Avengers facility that Tony Stark always talks about? Have you met him too?"

"Are you an investigative reporter or a photographer?"

"I'm just a little curious, is all."

MJ huffed at his words. There was something about him she didn't care for, but it was more irksome than anything else. She really didn't know this guy, and he was too nervous for her to take him seriously. Then, MJ heard the snap of a camera and turned around. Harry's own camera was aimed at her, and he gave her a sheepish look.

"Sorry, the lighting was just too good to pass up," was his defense.

"Creep," she joked, garnering a soft laugh from him.

"Aren't you a little put-off by them?" Harry then asked, and MJ rolled her eyes, "they could be lying about their age."

"Oh trust me, they're not," MJ reassured him as she looked at the photos she'd taken so far. She had gotten some good ones of Jack and Peter during the snowball fight, and one in particular of Peter getting nailed in the face. She'd have to show him that later.

"But how do you know? Have you seen them when they're..?" She cast sidelong glance at him as he struggled to find the right word. "...Regular?"

She knew what he was asking, and she didn't like it. Never in a million years would she ever tell this Peter-look-alike who her superhero pals really were. They weren't that close, and more importantly, it wasn't her secret to tell.

MJ shook her head, snowflakes flying off her hair. He quirked his mouth at her, most likely questioning the lie, but there was nothing she could say to him. There was nothing she wanted to say. Desperate to change the subject, she pointed to the lake that had frozen over and told him to take a picture of it. He did as he was told, and MJ inwardly wished that the day would just be over.

"Sorry if I'm pestering you," Harry then said, giving her an apologetic look, "it's just so fascinating that someone could have such cool friends."

"It's fine."

"Let's talk about something else, like your boyfriend or something. How'd you guys meet?"

MJ heaved a sigh. She had to put an end to this misunderstanding once and for all, no matter how much it made her laugh. She could tell Peter didn't like it, and she didn't want him resenting Jack over a simple misunderstanding. She'd seen the movies. She knew how that went down.

"Look pal, me and him-," the sentence never got finished, for a loud siren pierced the cold air. It was close by, and it sounded like a store was being broken into. MJ couldn't help but groan to herself. Why was the universe hellbent on keeping this charade going?

"Let's follow that," she suggested, and Harry gave her an incredulous look.

"You want to go toward the danger?"

"Where there is danger, there are heroes," MJ replied, and she held up her camera, "and that sounds like front page news to me."

And with that, MJ started off in a fast walk toward the loud, piercing sounds. She didn't want to revisit the previous conversation, just in case that prompted Harry to ask more unnecessary questions than he shouldn't. She was over the whole thing anyway, and she was just happy that a distraction had come along to break the tension.

They left the park behind and went into the snow-covered streets once more. The siren continued to wail, and eventually, that wasn't the only thing they could hear. While MJ smiled at the familiar sound, Harry looked confused until he realized what it was he was hearing. She gave the boy a cheeky grin, and the werewolf's singing grew louder as they rounded the corner.

"You're in for a treat, Osborn," was all she said.

And there it is, we're 21 chapters in and moving right along. I know this update might be a little weak, but hey, I'm trying here. Anyway, leave a comment or a vote if you liked it. Have a good one, y'all.

~Fargone5