11. A Spider on the Wall

*Werewolf pov*
*A few hours prior*

Jack split up from Peter, taking advantage of the solitude to do some good on his own. His main mission was to get the people of New York to like him, but not just because he was a crime-fighting werewolf. He wanted to show them he was friendly too, no one to be feared. He wanted to be as beloved as Spider-Man or Iron Man, but he had the disadvantage of being a villain when he made his first appearance. Now, he had to climb out of the deep hole he had dug himself into.

He found that the people really liked it when they caught him singing aloud to his favorite songs. There were a few videos of him on the internet and he thought it wouldn't hurt for them to catch him once in a while. It did wonders for his reputation.

But he found that his mind was clouded with anxiety. When he had stopped a carjacking, he seemed to only worry about the party rather than apprehending the criminal. He had said he would go because he had wanted to appear friendly to the new kid, but he was not at all excited about attending. He worried that Mr.Osborn would be there and recognize him. Jack had only met him once, and it was him that had the werewolf start to working with Dr.Connors. But it was also him that had given the order to brainwash him. Jack didn't think himself to be in a good enough mental state to confront him. He had crumpled at the very mention of "Osborn", he couldn't imagine how he would react to the man himself.

"Connors, this is Jacob Russoff," Mr.Osborn said as he introduced the young werewolf to the scientist. The Oscorp CEO had secretly taken time off his European trip to come back to New York, and he had found the wandering werewolf while driving through the forested upstate. Jack had been in terrible condition after having been on the run for so long, and Mr.Osborn had immediately grown intrigued by his werewolf capabilities. "He'll be your intern for the next few months."

Dr.Connors quirked an eyebrow. "I don't need any assistants."

"You'll want him," Mr.Osborn affirmed, "he'll prove to be very important when I return from Europe, for he will be the beginning of something I'm putting together."

Jack bared his teeth at the memory, hating that he could remember it so clearly. Back then, it all seemed so simple. He would work silently under Dr.Connors, who would give him meager tasks because the boy had no aptitude for science. But then he had gotten the idea that maybe Jack's werewolf form could be used to further his own devious plans.

Had he known what was in store for him, he would never have stayed.

But he had been so desperate to not be abandoned that he would have done anything in order to stay off the streets. But when Mr.Osborn had caught wind of some of his more heroic actions, he had decided that Jack needed a reminder in what he was supposed to do.

"Where's he from?" Dr.Connors asked as he stared at Jack, who was nearly his height despite being a teenager.

"California," Mr.Osborn answered, pushing Jack away so the boy could explore the lab, "he's been on the run all year and I've decided to help him."

"On the run from what, Sir?"

"He wouldn't say, just that he was being hunted by someone," Mr.Osborn shrugged half-heartedly, "but he changed his name in California so if you just changed the hair, he should be well hidden enough, especially in a big city like this."