14. Invitation to Craziness

After the party, Peter left with his friends around midnight. He had found Jack and MJ at the snack table after a rather spontaneous dance, Jack having goaded MJ into it, but Peter wasn't sure if he should believe them or not. MJ herself said she didn't dance, but Jack was overly proud of the fact that he had gotten her to do it. Ned attested that it was true, and that it was hilarious. They didn't argue when he said they should get going, and headed out.

It was snowy and freezing out, and Peter thought about calling May to pick them up. He loved when stray snowflakes would catch in MJ's wild curls, or when Jack would shake out his reddened hair like the dog he practically was.

Peter had gotten Harry's number so they could start talking more. But on the walk back, the group was mostly silent. Ned got picked up by his mom and was gone, and the rest of them were on their way to library to meet up with MJ's sister, who would take her home. Since it was just the three of them, Peter didn't know what to say. As they stood waiting at a crosswalk, Harry's words still bounced around in his head. Peter had never corrected him, that it was himself and MJ and not Jack and MJ, but Peter didn't know how she would feel if he told someone about their relationship. But Peter didn't know how to entirely address it to them without coming off as jealous.

Then again, MJ had promised to tell him.

"Hey, wanna hear something funny?" Peter asked, cracking a smile. Jack immediately looked intrigued because he always appreciated a good laugh, and MJ appeared mildly interested at best. "There was a thing about Harry thinking you guys are together, and then he's asking how long you've been an item."

"Oh shit, I actually wanted to tell you about that," MJ said, hitting Jack's arm as he began to snicker, "yeah, so Lupin here kinda felt sick today, right? I went after him and we just ran into Harry in the hallway. He just assumed we were a thing, I guess."

"It's not that hard to imagine though, right?" Jack said, leaning over, "I mean, we look pretty good together."

MJ hit him on the shoulder again, and the lycan quickly added, "but obviously not as good as you two supermodels."

They laughed at that, Peter putting an arm around MJ and hugging her to him. She leaned into his side, giving him the warmest of smiles that he could've melted. Peter didn't know why he would ever doubt MJ. She had never given him a reason for such inclinations, and Jack of all people would never betray him. Peter hated that he had gotten so worked up over nothing.

"Oh no, Peter don't tell me it's true," MJ suddenly said, giving him an expression of pity, "were you feeling... jealous?"

Jack threw a hand over his mouth, stifling a laugh. Peter's ears burned, his face becoming a little redder than he'd like. MJ was smiling a bit too gleefully, apparently enjoying his embarrassment while Jack continued to crack up. Then, the crosswalk changed and even though the street was desolate, Peter still looked both ways. The lack of cars was due to the thick layer of snow on the ground, but that did nothing to calm his anxiety about crossing streets. He still remembered the time he almost got creamed by a bus, and had to jump out of the way before he stopped it in the middle of the street. That would have been worse than getting hit.

As Jack started to cross, Peter hastily caught MJ'shand, pulling her back to him. She hit his chest and he reached up, connecting their lips in a kiss. The snowflakes in her bangs grazed his forehead, and he reached up to cup her cheek. It was picturesque, with the falling snow, empty street and Jack staring at them with his phone out, having full intention about sending the pictures to both of them with ridiculous captions.

MJ pulled away first, drawing the kiss out slowly, whispering, "trying to prove something, Webs?"

"You definitely proved it, if so," Jack said from the middle of the street, giving the two a thumbs up as he continued to hold up his phone.

"I always forget his hearing is like super good," Peter said to her, giving her nose a tiny kiss.

"Well, he is a dog," MJ pointed out before leaning in for another kiss.

"I heard that!" Jack said. Peter pulled away and took MJ's hand.

"Better go before he starts whining," he joked as they started to cross hand-in-hand.

"Okay, that was just hurtful," the werewolf said as they joined back up.

They walked down the street toward the library, MJ and Peter's hands clasped together. When the building came in view, Jack looked around, thinking he heard something. There was a distant siren coming from the other side of town, and he looked at Peter.

"I'll take it," the werewolf said, "I'll meet you back at home."

"Sure," Peter agreed with a nod, "do you guys wanna do something tomorrow? Me and Ned are gonna finish building our Dreadnaught if you guys wanna hang out."

"Sorry my dude, but it's a full moon," Jack pointed out.

Peter sighed, "right, you're going feral."

"What's it like when you're like that?" MJ asked curiously.

"You're welcome to watch, if you want. I'll be at the Avengers Facility after school," Jack informed her, "let me warn you though, it's pretty hilarious seeing me go crazy. Make Peter bring you."

"You're literally the only one who thinks it's funny," Peter retorted with a laugh.

"I'm kinda curious though," MJ mumbled, looking imploringly at her boyfriend. He returned her look, trying to mentally fight her on this, but she wasn't giving in. With a groan, the boy grudgingly nodded.

"Fine, we'll be there later," Peter decided, quickly adding to MJ, "me and Ned are so close to finishing. I can't just bail on him now."

"It's a date then," Jack chuckled, knowing full-well that it would be the weirdest date ever since they would be watching him go feral.

"Tell May I'm gonna need some new jeans," Jack said as the lycan took off his jacket and his blue flannel shirt and tossed them to Peter, leaving him in just his white T-shirt and pants. He gave them a two-finger solute and started to walk away.

"Don't stay out too late, dumbass," MJ called to him, her words laced with warning.

"Okay, Mom," Jack jokingly called over his shoulder as he broke into a run, disappearing into a nearby alley. Seconds later, a howl tore through the crisp winter air as Werewolf leapt over the street to the next row of buildings, heading toward downtown to stop some baddies.

"He puts that "Jack" in "jackass", amiright?" Peter said to MJ as they continued their walk, putting his friend's clothes under his arm.

"That's where you and I agree," MJ assented.

"Well, we agree on other stuff too."

"Sure, the earth is round, the sun is bright, water isn't wet..."

"Water is wet!"

"I swear to god, Parker."

And there's 14! Yay! I'm trying to be dutiful with these updates, but you know how I be. Anyway, hope you enjoyed! Leave a like or a comment. Whatever you wanna do.

~Fargone5