20. Caught

Peter didn't like the idea of spying. He trusted MJ to never do anything with another guy behind his back, mainly because she just wasn't that type of person. He wasn't threatened at all by Harry, not in the slightest. The reason why Jack was steadfast in checking up on them escaped Peter entirely.

And following them wasn't easy, because when the ones following them are a rather clumsy kid and a 300 pound werewolf, it can be hard to hide. If it weren't for the snow that caked the rooftops, Jack's footsteps would have surely been heard. The two figures down below didn't seem to notice their presence, and when they stopped at a corner to take a picture. Jack peered over the ledge to look down at them, and suddenly every hair on his back stood straight up. Peter stiffened as the same chilling feeling overtook him as well, even though he had no idea what danger could be around, until a new voice almost gave Peter a heart attack.

"This is like a new level of creeping," the hooded newcomer said from behind the two heroes, and they whirled around to see someone Peter didn't know standing on top of the ladder of the fire escape. The voice was feminine, the girl wearing a hoodie with white sleeves and a black torso, with dark jeans and converse shoes. Her face was covered by a white ski mask, and she rubbed her hands together, her black fingerless gloves providing little heat as she asked, "out stalking, are we?"

"We're not stalking," Peter replied defensively, and he glanced up at Jack. The werewolf had a fond look in his eye as he stared at the stranger, a soft smile tugging at the corners of his mouth.

"Well, if it isn't Spider-Gwen," Jack breathed, his ears pricked forward, "we were just checking up on a friend."

Peter gave him a confused look. Did he mean that this was Gwen? As in Gwen Stacy? He had mentioned seeing her before, but never said anything about giving her a nickname. Especially one that was spider-themed. What brought that on?

"Yeah, I'm still not convinced you're not a forty-year-old," Gwen retorted, getting to her feet and approaching them as she pulled her mask down to reveal her face. She leaned over the ledge to see what they were looking at. MJ and Harry were already walking down the street. Gwen straightened up slowly, and Peter could almost feel the judgement radiating off her. "And now I think you're a freak."

"Gwen, please," Jack tried to speak, but the girl held up her hand to stop him.

"Just tell me who you are before I unfollow you on Tumblr," Gwen said, and Jack stuck up his head.

"You follow me on Tumblr?" The werewolf questioned, an amused grin plastering itself on his face.

"I'm fifteen," Peter suddenly blurted out. He didn't know why he had, if he was being honest. He didn't want Gwen thinking they were some weird creeps following a girl. Not like being younger made that any less weird.

Gwen turned her head to look at him. "And do you think using that voice makes you sound older?"

"This is just the way my voice sounds," the web-slinger answered, growing defensive again. Jack chuckled at the comment, and Peter resisted the urge to punch him. No way was he going to reveal any more about himself to this girl he only talked to once. But she seemed to accept that, nodding and looking expectantly at Jack.

"I'm 112," the werewolf said, and she tipped her head. Even Peter gave him a puzzled look, though he knew his friend couldn't see his expression. Meekly, Jack added, "in dog years."

Doing the quick math in his head, Peter realized that made sense. But Gwen didn't seem amused as she crossed her arms. The two heroes didn't entirely know what to say. They couldn't say anything about themselves without giving something away, and Gwen didn't seem entirely convinced by what they already said.

"Can I ask why you're following your supposed friend then?" She asked, a hint of curiosity in her tone.

"For research purposes," Jack answered quickly, "she's our photographer for the Bugle. Well, we also know each other well, beyond that."

"Sure, but how well? Like, I know her from school," Gwen explained. She then stilled and pointed an investigating finger at the pair of supers, "are you checking to see if she's cheating on her boyfriend?"

Peter's blood ran cold, and he stumbled over his words. "Cheat-boyfr-what?"

"Yeah, you must know about him," she reaffirmed with a nonchalant nod. Her eyes narrowed when she took in both boys' startled expressions, "unless you don't. Did she not tell you? I would've figured she had when one of you inevitably hit on her."

Jack exchanging a quick look with Peter. "We never-I mean-she has said something in the past..."

"Well she's not two-timing that redhead, so quit lurking," Gwen replied. She turned and strode toward the fire escape, standing on top of the ladder. She pointed to her eyes and then back at them, saying, "y'all are weirdos, and I'm watching you."

She then dropped down the fire escape, leaving Peter in unparalleled confusion. What redhead had she been talking about? Was she referring to Jack? Did she think Jack and MJ were a thing too, like Harry? They were no more physical than her and Peter! He didn't understand! What was giving people that impression? It was starting to annoy him immensely, and Jack went over to the ladder and looked down. He asked the boy if they had been that obvious about following MJ, but when Peter didn't answer, he looked back at him, his expression thoughtful.

"I know what you must be thinking," Jack said, taking a step forward, "but for the record, there's nothing between me and MJ. I promise."

Peter sighed heavily, throwing up his hands. "Yeah, I know, but it doesn't change the fact that people think there is."

"Look, I don't know how to change that," Jack pointed out, crossing his arms, "if you want me to like publicly "break up" with her, I'll do it. I don't want Gwen thinking I'm not single."

"Yeah, we're definitely talking about that later," Peter said, his previous thought temporarily making his annoyance subside, "puppy love is real after all."

"Yeah, yeah, laugh away," Jack waved his hand, "but what do you want me to do?"

"I'll talk to MJ. Don't worry about it. You're fine."

Jack huffed, and Peter could still sense his frustration as he said, "then I think our time playing Mission Impossible has come to an end. Let's go start another snowball fight."

"Thank god, we're the worst at being Tom Cruise," Peter agreed in relief.

"Hey, I think I'd make a fantastic Ethan Hunt!"

"Can I at least be James Bond next time?"

"If there is a next time, 007."

And 20 is up and running! Hooray! Also, hooray for 100 votes! And hooray for By Moonlight getting to 1k votes! Happy day! Leave a vote or a comment if ya like and have a nice day! :)

Quick Add: Saw Infinity hWar a few days ago, and let me just say one thing; It was amazing, but I'm not okay.

~Fargone5