2 - The Ghost Girl (4/20/2019 edited)

Video: Lorde - Everybody Wants to Rule the World

As always, feel free to RIP this book apart by pointing out how I can fix it and don't forget to tell me what you like. Don't worry, you aren't going to hurt my feelings. I eventually want to publish this book so I'd rather have it ripped apart now, when I can actually fix things, then publish it and get ripped apart on Goodreads and Amazon. You know how it is. So do the thing. I hope you enjoy my book. :0)

________________________________________________________________________________

2

Moments before the crash

There were three things the Ghost Girl knew as fact.

One: she was lost, somewhere deep within the Oregon woods.

Two: hypothermia was setting in and she will die if she doesn't find shelter.

And three: she was finally free after years of captivity.

The last one brought about a lazy smile in her lucid state.

I'm dying. The thought surged through her thoughts as she continued on. But if death wanted to claim her, so be it. She was ready and willing to submit one final time to a force more powerful than herself. However, she'd die on her terms and as a free woman. Not a slave nor prisoner to any man, woman, or child.

I am free. Lost in thought, she stumbled forward, collapsing to the rocky ground.

She raised her hands and flinched at the lifeless fingers that grazed her burning cheek. In an act of desperation, she slipped a dirt-covered finger past her lips and bit down. She examined the offending appendage with a critical glare. Teeth marks left visible indents, yet she couldn't feel the pain that should have come with the bite.

I'm dying. The girl slammed her hand against the ground, sure she'd feel something, but the pain didn't come. Her fingers remained frozen and useless in their claw like state.

Turn back while you still have the chance to make things right. He'll be more forgiving if you go to him. Her body tensed as though preparing for the punishment that was sure to come when she did just that.

The fire inside her soul ignited, almost warming her. Giving up was not an option at this point. If she were meant to die then she would go out fighting.

She pulled herself to her feet and staggered forward a few steps before crashing against a nearby tree trunk. Her cheek took the brunt of the impact, leaving behind grated skin and blood.

I'd rather die. She clamped her eyes shut against the agonizing pain radiating through her cheek. But how am I to survive without him? The thought sent her into a panic. Stop it!

Exhaustion overcame her. What she needed was rest. Just for a little while, to gather what little strength she had left.

Sit down and take a short nap. I'll feel better when I wake. Her knees weakened. At the last moment, she caught herself and shook her head to rid herself of those damn thoughts. They would only get her killed.

She forced herself to stand on her own and swayed silently back and forth as she struggled to maintain her balance. Her numb feet weighted like cement blocks held her in place.

If you sleep, you'll freeze. Closing her eyes, she listened to the sweet music play. The area was alive with nightlife. It was a symphony of beauty, of mother nature at its finest.