5 - Jude in the Bedroom (not edited)

Video by: The Animals: We Got To Get Out Of This Place

Once again this is for nano. It has not been edited at all. Please keep that in mind while reading. It's most likely riddled with errors. Let me know what you think.

________________________________________________________________________________

5 – Jude in the Bedroom  

Eden tried the back door. The knob turned easily in her grasp and when she opened it, the smell of liquor hit her hard. It's strong sent reminded her of Harvey's after hours when the bartenders cleared the room.

She slipped into the mansion. The door led to nowhere in particular. Perhaps it was a servant entrance. She stayed quiet, listening for any life within.

Nothing. Not a sound came from either direction of the hallway.

She crept forward; terrified her ragged breathing would give her position away and froze when she reached the mouth of the hall to the nearest room.

The sound of clanking silverware echoed off somewhere in the distance. Perhaps it was the kitchen staff, cleaning the last bit of breakfast way.

When the noise halted, she leaned out into the dim room. This can't be the dinning room.

Eden glanced around at the unrecognizable space. It was a sitting room of some sort, small, sparsely furnished, but neat and old-fashioned. A huge stone fireplace that resembled a gaping black hole surrounded by grey stone took up the opposite wall. A large portrait of a family hung above it. Next to it and angled to the side stood a leather chair. A book lay open, straddling the arm of it's twin.

No Declan.

No Sofia.

Neither servant, nor master within ear shot. The odds were in Eden's favor. She dashed toward a marble column and pressed her back to it when someone stirred in one of the chairs.

Shit. The figure stood and passed her by without a hint of alarm.

Voices grew in the distance, straight ahead and out of sight around the corner. Then all was quite. A flutter of movement then innocent laugher filled the air, easing Eden's sprits. Still no sign of Declan.

The pair of voices belonged to servant girls. They would cause Eden no harm or so she hoped. Could they be easily persuaded to help her find one of the others? Maybe point her in the right direction so she wouldn't get lost in the depth of the mansion. 

A door opened and for a slight moment the noises became more distinct, filled with the sounds of cleaning.

"Hortence, you truly are absurd to believe the hunt is anything but just. Now stop your dilly-dallying and wash those dishes. I will not tolerate a dirty kitchen."

"Better watch that mouth or that old bag of bones will hear you. She'll take you right to Master herself."

There came a light flirtatious giggle between girls. "Let her."

"Leave it to you to desire pain over pleasure. You are quite the demented one."

Eden stepped further into the room, edging her way closer to the other hallway that she hoped would lead her into a room she knew.

"Come off it you cow." Something thudded against a countertop, the clatter echoed out into the space. Eden froze, fearing the swinging door would open at any moment and they'd find her lurking in the dark. "Like you haven't dreamt of punishment."