1 - Day One (Not Edited)

Since this is a short chapter, I'm going to try to give you multiple ones this week. I split this one up mainly because there is a long flash back and I don't want readers to get confused. There are some topics discussed in the next few chapters that may be triggering to some. 

Please note that this hasn't been edited yet. It's a raw draft. Feel free to rip it apart. Tell me what you like or hate. I want to make BE the best book it can possibly be so honest feedback is always welcome. Thanks for reading! :0)

________________________________________________________________________________

1 – Day One

Eden continued to pound against the door, screaming and now crying and begging Declan to come back and release her. Her chest tightened. Her ribs crushing the very breath from her aching lungs. Now she was breathless, unable to scream any further.

No one would respond to her cries. No one would come to release her. Eventually, Eden sunk to her knees. The wood beneath her creaked, crying out like she had none only moment before. Her cries turned to heart breaking sobs as she laid back, oblivious to the pain the cool wood caused while pressing against her broken skin.

Not a soul could save her in her time of need nor comfort her. Time was of no importance and eternity could have passed Eden by and she would be none the wiser to its passing.

For Eden, there was only darkness, mixed with the suffocating hands of misery bearing down on her throat. Soon her tears ran dry. What remained was a gaping whole within her chest. She was surprised death hadn't claimed her, not only within this tiny room meant for storage, but from the countless opportunities her life offered her.

Her vision blurred as she tried to focus on what was above her.

The darkness shifted, forming shapes with odd bursts of light like fireworks claiming clear night sky.

"Have you missed me?" She asked the darkness.

And she could have sworn she heard it whisper back. Yes.

The word was drawn out like a threatening hiss.

So very much.

Eden moved her leg toward the right, stretching it out as best she could. The edge of her foot bumped into something hallow. She pulled herself upright to inspect it.

The thing was large and hollow. A thin metal handle was attached to it. Her fingers traced its smooth surface. A plastic lip stood out near the top and as she pulled on it a lid popped of.

A putrid stench hit Eden hard. She gaged, almost vomited, before sealing it shut again and realized what it was. The bucket was a makeshift toilet.

She backed away, wishing she could wash her hands of the filth she just touched when her back hit a wall within one scoot. If she held her legs out straight and pointed her feet as far as they could go, the tips of her big toes gazed the wall opposite her.

Eden reached out her arms to see how wide the room was and found that even with both palms flat against the walls, she couldn't fully straighten her arms.

The room couldn't be larger than a coat closet in length and width. That tightening around her lungs returned.

I need to stand up.

Eden gathered her feet under her and tried to stand. The top of her head slammed into something hard, making her bend slightly forward.

I can't stand at my full height or straighten my arms, my legs barely even fit the length. Declan put me in a literal box. Fit for a child.

She sunk slowly to her knee as memories flooded her mind.

I've been in a room just like this one. It was so long ago but how can't I forget? Only that room smelt of stale cigarettes, bourbon, and deep seeded regret. Whereas this on smelt of shit and piss, fit for a pig. Yet each were used for the same reason. A method of psychological torture.

Another thought entered her mind. It was of the void and it's comforting yet all to terrifying darkness.

The void was born from that darkness. She thought. It was my only comfort.

Eden felt around her for anything other than the bucket. Nothing. No blanket or pillow to be found. Not even a roll of toilet paper was left.

Tears welled up in her eyes. The darkness beyond remained the same.

She scooted down to make room to lay on her side. Curling her knees up to her chest, Eden laid on her arm, her tears slipping from her eyes and pooling under and around her cheek.

I literally have nothing but a pot to piss in.

Eventually, Eden dozed off. The smoky hands of the void were there waiting to catch her as she tumbled from reality and was thrown into the pass she so desperately fought to forget. 

Words: 902

Don't forget to check out my other stories!

The Hilstead Experiment: 1986 - Three prisoners escape an experiment involving human subjects.

The Hilstead Experiment: Adrift - Ten strangers board a plane that crashes into the ocean, turning their promised paradise vacation into a deadly experiment of survival.

The Carriers - Tainted meat turns a small farming town into a parasitic zombie war zone only a vegetarian can handle.

In The Pines- Annabel Lee enters into the highest rated gameshow of the afterlife to win a second chance at life.

And if you're looking for writing advice check out my story Year of the Author.