Flowers For The Broken Hearted

AMACon 4: Serendipitous
Drabbles Day Two: My Funny Valentine

"O Meng, heto na ang araw na pinakahihintay mo! Sa wakas balentayms na kaya malamang maraming utu-uto na mga lalaking bibili ngayon ng bulaklak! Takot lang nila sa mga jowa nila ngayon!" She said to herself, in front of the small mirror hanging on the wall of the small flower shop she worked in.

Meng's parents died when she was still very young, but it broke her heart so badly and never healed. No other relatives wanted to take her, so she was left in an orphanage run by nuns. It was there that Meng met Ms. Mary Ann, a flower shop owner who provided the flower arrangements every week for the chapel. If only she didn't already have 4 children, she would have adopted Meng, but her and her husband's flower shop business provided just enough for her family. But every time she would bring in new arrangements, she would spend some time with Meng to justm talk and teach her stuff about flowers.

When Meng turned 18, she was released by the orphanage to live out on her own. Luckily, Ms. Mary Ann needed a helper in her shop and immediately took her in. Soon she was able to earn enough to take some night classes in vocational school.

Now 21 years old, Meng is already in charge of one of Ms. Mary Ann's small shops.

Ms. Mary Ann calls her her lucky charm because Meng, with her wit and humor, easily convinces customers to buy flowers, even those who didn't originally plan to.

Valentine's day has always been her favorite because it's a day when flowers are the highest in demand (all soul's day coming in second). By the end of the day, she was out of flowers save for a sad bouquet of white roses and beginning to dry up pink carnations, her personal favorite. But she was determined to sell everything so she refused to close in the hopes of selling the last two bouquets she had.

She stepped out of the shop, and grabbed the two last bouquets to offer them to passers by.

When she eyed a tall young man coming her way pouting and looking as sad as someone who should have just stayed at home for Valentine's Day, she knew she'd be able to sell her last inventory.

"Ser, ser, ser! Wala kayong dalang flowers, bilin nyo na to! Bagsak presyo, 100 pesos na lang tong dalawang to, makaubos lang!"

He stopped briefly and looked at the flowers, then at her. When their eyes met, a flash of lightning illuminated the sky, then thunder rolled in, and before they knew it, they were about to get soaked in the rain.

Meng immediately ran back to the shop and stood under the awning, looking out and up the pouring rain.

"Ser! Di ako prepared makita ang wet look mo, halika dito at sumilong ka!"

The man didn't have a choice. With obvious hesitation, he joined her under the shed.

"Buti na lang ser andito kayo sa tapat ng shop ko, kunde, nako, basang sisiw ang peg nyo. San kayo sisilong nyan o!" She asked pointing out the almost empty street. She continued. "Ano ser, patila ka muna dito? Muka namang di ka nagmamadali kanina eh. Wala ka bang date?"

The young man just looked at her with the most stoic expression she's ever seen.

"Hala nako, sorry ha. Ang manhid ko ba? Sorry ser. Iniwan ka ng jowa mo no? O ikaw nang-iwan? O wala ka lang talagang jowa at di mo din feel ang balentayms? Tama ako no?"

She looked at his face but didn't get any response and he refused to look back at her. That's when she got the chance to really look at him, or his side profile rather. Styled hair, perfect jawline, a mole peeking out of his collar, a firm physique but with a little burjer in his middle. He was damn hot, she thought. But it was his bicep that got her mesmerized.

"Uh miss, braso ko yan, hindi mangga na pinipisil para malaman kung hinog na talaga."

She slowly looked up at him and realized what she was doing. She immediately took her hand back in embarrassment.

"Ay! Susmaryosep, sorry ser. Etong mga daliri ko minsan may sariling buhay!" she said aloud.

He just looked at her again stoically, that made her look the other way.

"Jusko Menggay anubah, nakakahiya baka isipin manyak ka, kababae mong tao, sa mga madre ka pa man din lumaki porjosporsanto!" she quietly mumbled to herself. Then all of a sudden, a loud laugh echoed through the pouring rain. She turned and found the stranger hunched over laughing.

Red and embarrassed, she started closing up and was about to take down the awning when the guy straightened up again. She immediately noticed his deep dimple and his shiny eyes, which were teary from laughing so hard. Then the rain suddenly stopped.

"Sorry Miss. Ang dami ko lang tawa sa hirit mo." He said, trying to stop his laughter. "Thank you sa pasilong."

"Ah ganon, pagkatapos mong makisilong at pagtawanan ako, thank you na lang ganon? At mga ilang tawa?"

"Ito naman di na mabiro. Sige Ms..."

"Meng... uh Maine."

"Ok Ms. Maine, bibilin ko na lahat ng flowers mo. Magkano nga lahat?"

"Two hundred."

"Ano? Kanina sabi mo one hundred lang!"

"Tamo magtatanong ka eh alam mo naman pala! Nakisilong ka eh kaya two hundred na."

"Grabe sya. Ok fine. Heto two hundred."

"Yon! Madali ka naman pala kausap ser eh!"

She immediately handed him the bouquets of white roses and pink carnations, in exchange for the two hundred peso bills.

"Salamat ser. Makakapagsara na din ako sa wakas."

"Salamat din. RJ nga pala, Ms. Maine." She was surprised when he offered his hand. She took it in an awkward handshake. His hand was warm and it surprised her how good it felt to have her hand in his.

"..."

"Ms. Maine. Ok. Uhm... o, kunin mo to."

"Ay ser RJ, no return no exchange!"

"Hahahahah no! Ano ka ba, nakakatawa ka talaga. Kunin mo na to, binibigay ko sayo. Happy Valentine's, Ms. Maine... and RJ na lang."

She looked at the pink carnations, then at his smiling face. She took them and smiled back wildly as she felt her heart slowly mending itself.

It was the first of the many bouquets she would receive from him in all the years they would spend together.

(Originally published in "Tapunan Ng Feelings" on January 5, 2017.)