(5) Back at Hogwarts

"Honestly where are those two?" Hermione said while pacing around the train compartment.

She's been doing that for about an hour now and Ginny and I had no choice but to stare at her.

"I'm sure they just went to a different compartment." Ginny reassured her while looking over at me for assistance."They were right behind mum and dad. I'm sure they're alright." Ginny continued.

"Leah! Hello?" Hermione said, irritated that I wasn't paying attention.

"I'm gonna have a look around." I said standing up and leaving the compartment before they could stop me.

I was honestly not in the mood. All I could think about was what had happened on my birthday.

*flash back*

I looked up at the night sky. It was like a painting on a dark canvas with twinkling dots on it. It was honestly a perfect night. I looked over at my best friend George, who reluctantly was looking at me too with a smile on his face.

"This is the best gift ever George." I said to him, but he didn't respond; he just continued to look at me.

"I-I'm glad you liked it." he finally said, inching closer to me.

For a while, we just stared into each other's eyes. I didn't really know what was happening until our lips were only inches apart. A part of me said to pull back. George was my best friend, why would I ever kiss him? But another part of me said to just stay where I was.

"Geor-" I tried to protest, but I suddenly felt our lips lightly touch.

Make a decision, NOW! I told myself and I decided to push him off.

"George, stop! What.. what are you doing?" I said sitting up.

George looked up at me with a confused expression that quickly turned into a regretful one. I turned away from him and hugged my knees. Was he really going to kiss me? But.. he can't fancy me? He can't. He was my best friend, nothing more.. right?

"Leah.." George whispered as he sat up.

I didn't look at him and continued to stare off into the distance. What was happening to me? Why am I feeling.. hurt? I can't possibly fancy him too.. I can't. I mean.. If I do and we eventually go into a relationship, we'll have our problems and they will lead up into fights. What if a fight went too far and we break up? I can't lose him.. I wouldn't know how to deal with that. We can't like each other and that's final.

"Leah.." he said again and I finally look at him. "I-I didn't mean to.. uhh.. to.. I just got caught up in the moment." he finally finished.

"The moment?" I asked.

"Yeah. You know? It's a perfect night and here I am with you and it just seemed right, but-"

"But.. you can't possibly fancy me." I said interrupting him.

"WHAT? Me? Fancy you?" he said chuckling. "I told you. I just caught up in the moment. Why would I fancy you?"

What's wrong with fancying me? I thought to myself, but decided to dismiss it. George was usually a prick to me.

I gave him a small smile and looked down at the grass and flowers. I played with some of the flowers until he finished laughing to himself and it was quiet once again.

"Leah?" he finally said.

"Yeah?" I whispered as I looked up at him.

"Are.. are we ok? This.. this didn't mean anything. You know that right?" he said half smiling.