(15) Back to the Library

I rummaged through the books on one shelf and switched to one after the other. I know I read something about this. It wasn't particularly about the chamber of secrets, but something that had to do with Salazar Slytherin and snakes. I know that everything about snakes isn't all about him, but ever since these attacks, I've had the urge to go back to the library. Hermione and I have been here a couple times, but something is irritating me like at the back of my head, I already knew something important; the missing puzzle piece.

"Where are you?" I mumbled to myself as I traced my fingers on my 7th shelf of books.

I found an interesting book, but I couldn't reach it. Why was I so small? Suddenly a hand reached out and grabbed it.

"Here you go." I heard someone say. I turned around and it was Oliver.

I felt myself blush and was about to say thank you when..

"Miss Granger? Mr. Wood? I need to close the library. It's already curfew." Madam Pince said with a yawn.

"Oh, please Madam Pince! Just 5 more minutes?" I said clasping my hands together.

"Don't you have a Quidditch game tomorrow?" she asked looking rather irritated.

"Yes.. yes we do." Wood said giving me an amused smile with a hint of disapproval.

"Yes, but this is very important! Please!" I said giving her my puppy dog eyes.

"Oh.. alright. but ONLY 5 minutes!" she gave me a small smile and went back to her desk.

I smirked and Oliver gave an amused laugh.

"You study a lot, don't you?" he said smiling at me.

"I guess you can say that." I said feeling my cheeks turn red. "Thanks by the way.." I said holding up the book.

"My pleasure. I heard you and your cousin are the brightest witches of your age. Maybe we can study together sometimes.. if you like. I could use a little help with Charms." he said blushing. Oh my god, was he really blushing?

"Wow, getting help from a 2nd year. I wonder what the others will say about this." I said teasing him.

"Well, if you put it that way, that would be embarrassing." he said blushing even more, making me laugh. "You should really get some rest. The library's not going anywhere." he teased making me giggle.

"I know that." I said giving him a light nudge.

"I just have to check on our equipment real quick and I'll head up myself. Good luck tomorrow.. goodnight, Leah." he said as he gave me a small peck on the cheek and left.

Oh no.... I feel all giddy inside. NO. I need to keep reading. I thought to myself as I opened the book.

"Rowena Ravenclaw.. Hufflepuff.. Gryffindor.. Here! Salazar Slytherin." I mumbled to myself. "Founding father of Slytherin house.. was a parseltongue." I read.

I scanned through his information, but I still didn't find what I was looking for. I thought for a second and I suddenly remembered.

"He's a parseltongue.. the heir of Slytherin has to be a Slytherin who can speak to snakes." I mumbled. "The monster inside the chamber... has to be a snake. For only parselmouths can control it. But how is it moving around the school..." I whispered to myself as my smile grew bigger. "Snakes.. I read a book about snakes."

I rummaged through another shelf. I couldn't reach some of the books and decided to pull my wand out.

"Miss Granger, it's closing time." Madam Pince said as dark circles were already forming around her eyes.

"Please! I'm almost done just-"

"No, miss Granger. I already gave you a consideration. Just come back tomorrow." she said as she pushed me out of the library.

"Great." I said to myself as I headed back to the common room.

The hallways were pretty dark now since it was already passed curfew.

"Lumos." I said as my wand lit up.

I slowly walked through the hallway, trying to be cautious. I suddenly heard a thump and jumped back. I moved my wand around. No one was there.

"This is ridiculous." I shook my head and took a deep breath.. and made a run for it.

I finally arrived at the end of the hallway near the grand staircase. I was out of breath and I felt like my heart was about to burst out of my lungs. I was about to enter the grand staircase when I heard dripping.. water? I looked back and took a few steps forward. I suddenly came across a flooded hallway.

"Oh no.." I said as I ran towards the grand staircase.

I ran up the stairs trying not to look back. I heard something in that hallway. I KNOW I did. Every time someone was petrified there was always water. I would check to see if someone was there, but I can't risk it.. I knew too much and I needed to tell Hermione about it. I finally went through the portrait hole when someone bumped into me.

"Fred! George!" I yelled, but Fred covered my mouth with his hand.

"Shh! You'll wake everyone." Fred said as he gave me a quick hug. "I guess she's safe Georgie. Now, I need to sleep! We have a game tomorrow, if you two don't know." he said with a wink and headed back upstairs.

"I called you out through Ginny, but she said you weren't in your room. We were just about to go look for you. Where have you be-" George started.

Suddenly we heard the portrait door open and guess who just came in?

"Wood.." George said looking shocked.

"Weasley? Why are you still here? We have a game tomorrow! I know why Leah's still up, but honestly.." Oliver said as he smiled at me. "Off to bed, the both of you!" he said as he made his way up to the boys dormitory.

When Oliver finally left, I looked up at George. He didn't think... he did.

"Wuh..Wood? You were out with Wood? And passed curfew?" George said sounding hurt. I've never seen him this way.

"George, no!" I said as I blocked him from going upstairs. "No! Please, just listen!"

"Just cause he asked you out, doesn't mean he really likes you Leah." he said as I froze at what he just said. "He only likes you cause you're good at Quidditch.. for a second year."

"George.." I said as I felt tears in my eyes. Why was he being so cruel?

"You fancy him don't you? Why wouldn't you? He's the team captain after all." he continued and I felt a tear slide down on my cheek.

He turned around and walked away. I can't believe he just said all of that. I felt so angry and hurt at the same time and it made me cry even more because of my frustration.

"HEY!" I shouted, but George didn't stop. I ran up to him, grabbed him by the arm and turned him around to face me.

"Listen, you big headed git!" I started, his eyes not meeting mine. "I wasn't with Oliver all night ok? He saw me at the library then he left right afterwards to check on our equipment for tomorrow!" I explained with a harsh tone.

Why was he even mad anyways?

"Can you please look at me?" I said, but he didn't which made me even more frustrated. "Why am I even explaining myself? Why are you even mad?" I continued, but he still didn't say anything. "Whatever."

I gave a big sigh and walked up to the staircase, our shoulders brushed against each other. I stopped midway up the stairs. I guess a part of me wanted him to chase after me and tell me that he believed me and that he was sorry.. but he didn't. So I headed to the girls dormitory and went to bed.