(17) I'll Be Here

*George's POV*

I was eating breakfast with Fred and Lee. I looked to my left side again, and still no sign of Leah.

"Maybe she just over slept, mate." I heard Fred say as he gave me a reassuring smile.

"I dunno.. I just have a bad feeling in my stomach." I said as I look down at my untouched plate.

"Cause you haven't eaten! Come on then, just a bite." Lee said as he put a slice of toast with jam on my plate.

I picked up the toast and was about to take a bite when I saw Harry and Ron on the far end of the table. Where in the bloody hell was Leah? She usually eats with those two along with Hermione, or with Ginny. But Ginny's no where to be seen either.. Suddenly, the bad feeling in my stomach worsened.

"Georgie? Are you alright?" Fred asked looking slightly worried.

I looked up at him with wide eyes. He looked at me in confusion, but I didn't have time to explain. I stood up and made my way towards Harry and Ron.

"Oii, have you two seen Leah?" I asked as I felt Fred and Lee behind me.

Harry and Ron didn't speak, but just looked at each other. Ron looked like he was on the verge of crying or throwing up.

"Well.." Harry started. "George-"

"Harry please.. just tell me." I had a horrible assumption on where she was, but I didn't want to be right.

"She's- she's in the hospital wing." Harry said.

"She's visiting Hermione?" Lee asked, but me and Fred had the same thought as we looked at each other.

"She.. she was petrified last night." Harry finished as Ron gave a nervous nod.

Right then, I felt tears coming, but I held it back. Leah.. Leah was petrified. What if she died? And I didn't even get to fix things with her. I didn't get to tell her how I felt. I don't know what I would have done if I lost her. I felt a hand support my body. My legs were apparently weakening and I didn't notice. I looked up at Fred and he nodded. I ran to the hospital wing ignoring the calls I got from McGonagall and Flitwick. Just then I was blocked by someone at the door. Dumbledore. I felt McGonagall catch up behind me and I just looked down. I felt like crying and I really didn't want to.

"Mr. Weasley! You are not allowed to leave the Great Hall until breakfast-" McGonagall started, but she stopped when Dumbledore raised his hand.

I looked up at Dumbledore and he gave me a warm smile.

"I have.. I have to see her." I whispered still trying to keep myself from crying.

Dumbledore put his hands on my shoulders and looked me in the eye. He smiled again and nodded as he released me. I looked at him one more time and at McGonagall who looked half disapproving, half sympathetic as I made my way to the hospital wing.

"Mr. Weasley, you are not allowed here." Madam Pomfrey said as I entered the hospital wing.

"Please. I need to see her. Dumbledore allowed me." I said as I tried to look over her shoulder.

"Professor Dumbledore doesn't know what-" she started.

"Please." I said as she gave me a disapproving look, but eventually her face softened.

"5 minutes." she said as she led me to one of the covered beds.

It was right next to another covered bed and I'm guessing that was Hermione's. I didn't even get to check on Leah when Hermione was petrified. Some best friend I was..
Madam Pomfrey opened the curtains and there she was. Her body was stiff with a scared expression on her face. I felt my legs weaken again and Madam Pomfrey pushed a chair next to the bed as she left. I took a seat and touched Leah's cheek as I felt a tear left my eye.

"I'm sorry.." I whispered as I covered my face with my arm and rested my head on her bedside and cried. "I'm sorry I wasn't there."

Ever since we became best friends, I promised her that I would always be there for her. She needed someone and I was no where in sight. I ignored her because of my stupid pride and now..
I looked at her face. She must have been really scared, but Leah was always brave. Even though she was scared, she would never tell anyone. She wasn't the type of person that wanted people to worry about her. As much as possible, she kept what was bothering her and I admired how strong she was. I guess I never got to tell her any of this.

"You were always there for me, and I was a prick. I'll be here, don't worry.. You'll be alright, Leah. You'll be cured soon." I told her, but honestly more to myself.

Whenever I wasn't my best I always had Fred to cheer me up, but it was still different when Leah did it. I always felt better just seeing her smile even though everything was falling apart. Leah was always the one who was optimistic and I guess that's why me and Fred love her to bits.

"Mr. Weasley.. it's time to go." I heard Madam Pomfrey say as I nodded.

I looked back at Leah and softly touched her cheek. I bent down and whispered in her ear.

"I love you."