A Promise

It was around 7:00 PM in Hawkins. Joyce and Hopper met downtown to walk to the Hideaway pub to meet with Dr. Sam Owens, who called them both. As they entered the pub, they saw Owens sitting at the booth they always met him at. He waved to them. "Joyce. Hopper. Good to see you." He said. They took a seat. "What's going on?" Hopper asked him. Owens looked under his seat, and took out a folder. "As you know, Jane Ives was at Hawkins Lab for years." He said. "But, what if there were more kids like her?" Hopper and Joyce looked confused.

Owens opened the folder, and took out a newspaper. "I got this from Beverley Hills, California, from a friend." He said. He opened the paper up. "Two nights ago, there was a murder scene at a bar. The Bartender, and two other men were killed." He explained. "A few people that passed the bar said they saw two men talking to a woman in her late teens or early twenties, with short black hair." Owens passed the newspaper to Hopper. "The men were found dead. But in odd ways. One of the men, Roland Willow, had a broken neck. But the others are suspicious. The bartender, and the other man Tom Evans were killed by what seemed like fire. The bartender had been badly burnt chest. But Evans was found with a burnt arm, and... His whole head was burnt." Owens explained.

Hopper and Joyce looked at the newspaper, which had the photos. They were both shocked. "Jesus Christ..." Hopper said. Then, Joyce spoke up. "Um, Sam, how did this happen?" She asked. Owens had a nevous look on his face. "Well, the police in that area are stumped. But I have a theory. She is someone like Jane." He said. Hopper kept looking at the paper. "Who were these guys?" Hopper asked. "That's the other thing. I did research in the lab, and found out Evans and Willow both worked there when Brenner was in control." He said. "So my theory, she is out for revenge on the people who worked at the lab when she was there."

Hopper put the paper down. "So you think she has some kind of... Fire power basically?" He asked. Owens looked nervous again. "Well, yes. But there's something else." He said. He looked through his folder again. "Joyce, did you hear about the Middle School fire today?" Owens asked. "Yes. Will told me." Joyce said. Owens nodded. "Well, I had a team there today to take pictures of the incident, you know, for a bit of news on what has been going on in the town." Owens said. Owens dug through his folder, and took out three photos. "I looked through them, and I... Might have discovered something." He said.

Joyce looked at the photos. It was both the kids and teachers in front of the school. But on the last one, she saw someone in the background. A girl. To old to be a Middle School student, but to young to work there, or be part of Owens team. The girl looked like she was in her late teens, or early twenties, with short black hair. Just like what Owens had described. "Do you think this is the same girl from California, and set the school on fire?" Joyce asked. Hopper took the picuture from Joyce. "No, absolutly not. It was an accident at the school." Hopper explained. Owens nodded. "I think she may be right, Jim." Owens said. "But the thing is, she was all the way in California, pretty far from here. Somehow, she got here quickly. So my other theory is, she has more than one power." Owens explained. Joyce looked nervous now. "Wait, you you think... Teleportation?" Joyce asked. Owens nodded.

Hopper thought about this. He knew El had powers. He knew he had to try to believe he impossible. "So, do you think this girl can be the most powerful of the other people like El with powers?" He asked. "I believe  she can be." Owens said. "Which is why we have to be extremely careful if out theories are true."

Hopper looked at the picture again of the girl. Something about her looked... Familiar. Like he knew her from somewhere. Then, he set it down. "Owens, do you think there can be any place in the lab where there were reports of kids?" He asked. Owens nodded. "I can check around. It's pretty big, but yeah. I'll check." He said.

As Joyce and Hopper left, Joyce spoke up. "Hopper, I'm nervous about El." Joyce said. Hopper looked at her. "You don't think I am?" Hopper said. "Joyce, don't worry. She's under my protection." He said. Joyce looked at him. "Hopper, I want you to promise something." She said. "If anything comes back, whether a monster or bad men, we stand together. We won't let them hurt anybody else. I don't want Will to be posessed again, or someone to end up like Barb, or Bob." Joyce held out her hand. "Promise, Hop?" She asked. Hopper looked at her. He shook her hand. "Cross my heart." He said.