"It's a Theory."

Dustin took a walk downtown the next day. There was no school, but he still had plans for the day. As he walked through downtown, a building caught his eye. The library. He thought he might stop in, use some time that school would have given him.

As he wandered around the library, filled with christmas decorations, he saw somebody at a desk. But when he walked closer, he saw it was Lucas, looking through at least 5 different books, and writing in a notebook. Dustin smiled, and got behind Lucas. "Hey buddy." He said. Lucas suddenly jumped up from his chair, looking frantic. Dustin was confused. Lucas then grinned. "Oh, hey man." He said. "What the hell was that all about?" Dustin asked. Lucas shook his head. "Just... Jumped me a little bit." He said. Dustin saw his books. 'Natural Predators, Sharks, Bats...'

Lucas covered his books. "What are you reading?" Dustin asked. A nervous look came across Lucas's face. "Promise not to tell anyone?" He said. Dustin nodded. Lucas pulled out the books, and his own notebook. "A few days ago, I saw something." Lucas explained. Dustin thought of onr thing first when he saw the picture of a shark, and a predator. "Was it a Demogorgan?" Dustin asked. Lucas took a deep breath, and nodded. "Yes." He said. "But it was different." "Demodog?" Dustin asked. Lucas shook his head.

He took out his notebook, and showed Dustin his drawing inside. Dustin saw a picutre of a Demogorgon with its mouth open, but it had wings for arms. "Oh god. Could it fly?" Dustin asked. Lucas nodded. Dustin looked at it again. "It's a... Demobird." He said. "No. It doesn't even have feathers, Dustin. I call it a Demobat." Lucas explained. Dustin liked the name, but spoke up. "Okay, I'm the one that gives the monsters nicknames, remember?" He said. Lucas nodded, annoyed. "Now's really not the time." He said. "Dude, this thing can fly. It caught me, and tried to fly away with me." Dustin was shocked.

"But that wasn't all." Lucas said. "When I went into the cave I found it in, I discovered something. A ring." Lucas said. Dustin was confused. "A ring?" He asked. Lucss nodded, turning to another page in his notebook. "It was the weirdest thing. The ring was completly black. But it had a type of jewel at the top. It was red, and it... When I put it on, the jewel started glowing. And, right above me, the Demobat appeared." Lucas explained. Dustin was surprised. "Like lord of the rings." He said. Lucas was confused. "Okay, besides a ring, how does this releate to the story?" Lucas asked. "You know, one ring to rule them all." Dustin explained. "Maybe that jewel was calling to the Demobat." He said. Lucas didn't think about that. "So you're saying, if I put that thing on, I can control the Demobat?" He asked. "It's a theory." Dustin said.

Just then, the boys felt a hand on their shoulders. They almost jumped, when they heard a familiar voice. "Guess who's home for the holidays?" Dustin turned around smiling, for standing behind him was none other than Steve Harrington.

"Steve!" Dustin yelled, giving him a hug. Lucas smiled, and slapped Steve on the back. "Hey Steve. How's college been?" Lucas asked. Steve let go of Dustin. "Oh, it's been great." He said. "Grades have been good, don't have to work for my dad." He said. "Pretty peaceful there too, without any Demogorgons, or whatever they are. But hey, I missed my home." Steve eyed Lucas's notebook, noticing a drawing of the Demobat, when Lucas quickly put the books in his backpack. Steve was wondering if Lucas was hiding anything, but shook it off. "Alright, let's go for a walk. It's been a while." He said.

As Steve, Dustin, and Lucas walked through the town, Steve popped a question. "So Lucas, how's it been with... Uh, redhead..." Steve said, forgetting Max's name. "Uh... Hargrove... Max! That's it. How's it been with her?" Steve asked Lucas. "Oh, great. Yeah, wonderful girl." Lucas said. Dustin smirked. "Apart from when they constantly argue." Dustin said. Steve chuckled, and Lucas gave Dustin an annoyed look. "Argue, huh?" Steve asked. Lucas sighed. "We're alike in a lot of ways, but maybe a bit to alike, when we can't..." Lucas said, trying to think of what to say. "Can't keep your mouth shut?" Dustin asked. Lucas was mad now, and took a swing at Dustins shouler. Both Dustin and Steve laughed.

Suddenly, there was a car horn behind them. They turned around, to see Billy Hargrove in his car, smoking a cigarette. He eyed Steve, smiling. "Thought I smelled you here, Harrington." He said. Steve looked annoyed. "Piss off, Hargrove." He said. "Aww, look at you. College Freshmen, not wanting to argue back." Billy said. He still wasn't forgiving Steve of their fight. Lucas looked at Billy. "Remember what Max did with that bat?" He said. Billy looked nervous. "That was quite a way of standing up to someone." Lucas said. "She did it before, she won't be afraid to do it again." Billy looked at Lucas in complete dislike. Then, sped off.

Dustin sighed. "That asshole never leaves us alone." He said. Steve patted Dustin on the shoulder. "It's okay, buddy. He's just trying to look tough. Wants to scare people smaller than him." Steve explained. "But make yourself look tough, he'll probably leave you alone." Dustin smiled. "Thanks." He said.