162 Candles

Chapter 07; 162 Candles

-

"You said that you were in contact with Vicki Donovan that night? Do you know where she might have gone?" Sheriff Forbes questioned Lia as Jeff Schultz sat right next to his daughter.

"I saw her, but I didn't speak with her. She was with Jeremy Gilbert for most of the night." Lia withheld what she really knew about Vicki, keeping her promise to Elena that she wouldn't tell anyone Stefan's secret.

"Listen, I promise you that Stefan is not dangerous. It's all Damon." Elena assured her best friend that Stefan was completely harmless. "Please keep his secret because I promised that I would, and now that you know--"

"So you're saying that I'm some kind of liability? Elena, you're protecting a vampire." Lia argued with the taller girl. She still wasn't convinced that Stefan wouldn't hurt her if he had the option. "Do you understand how insane you sound?"

"Lia, I'm begging you. I will never ask you for anything ever again if you do this for me." Elena continued to beg Amalia before she finally sighed.

"Fine. I'll keep his secret as long as he stays away from me." Lia made the girl a deal that as long as Stefan wouldn't talk to her or be around her, she wouldn't tell a soul what he really was.

"Amalia?" Sheriff Forbes called out Lia's real name for the fifth time, though that was the only time that she had heard it. "Now, Matt Donovan said that he had seen you that night. That you seemed distraught. What happened?"

Lia glanced over at her father, scared to tell the sheriff one of the reasons she was upset that night right in front of him. She knew that if he found out what Tyler had done to her, he was good as dead. "I was honestly a little bit drunk. And when that happens, I get a bit over-emotional. I had a fight with Bonnie after she told me to go home and I guess the alcohol took over."

"And who was the last person you saw that night, if you remember?" Liz asked her yet another question regarding the disappearance of Vicki Donovan.

"Elena. I slept over at her house. I didn't feel like I was in a position to go home." She lied once again about what had happened that night. Yes, she did sleep at Elena's, but it wasn't because she was drunk. She wasn't drunk at all that night.

"Did you notice any signs of aggression or violence coming from Vicki?" The Sheriff asked her, and she quickly shook her head.

"No."

"So you believe Vicki really has left town?" She asked one final question. She still looked suspicious as if she didn't believe what Lia was telling her.

"Yes."

✰✰✰

Lia walked out of the station with her dad by her side to see Stefan Salvatore standing there. She tried to ignore him and walk past him, but he stopped her. Jeff Schultz was instantly confused as he had never seen this boy before, and he pulled his daughter away from Stefan quickly.