Unpleasantville

Chapter 10; Unpleasantville

-

"Okay, wait a second. What do you mean, you look exactly like her?" Amalia asked the brunette beside her as the two walked through the halls of Mystic Falls High School.

Elena stopped at a random locker, so Lia did the same. Elena shrugged slightly, not sure how to explain the situation. "She looks exactly like me. The only difference from me and Katherine in that photo was our clothing."

"How is that possible?" Lia asked the question that Elena had been wondering herself ever since she laid eyes on the photograph.

"I don't know." Elena shook her head. "And after Stefan told me that I was adopted, I checked my birth certificate, but it says that Miranda and Grayson Gilbert are my birthparents.

"This is too weird. You need to ask Jenna about it. She wouldn't lie to you." Lia assured her best friend. She knew that Elena wouldn't want to go to her aunt about it, no matter how much she needed to.

"If I really am adopted then she already did." Elena shook her head as she crossed her arms over her chest. "I have to go. Talk later?"

"Yeah, definitely." Lia nodded before Elena walked off, following after Caroline Forbes who was walking out of the school.

✰✰✰

Lia walked up to Caroline and Matt, who were painting a banner for the dance that was coming up. The girl smiled at both of them before giving Caroline a look that begged her to leave so that she and Matt could talk.

"I have to go to the bathroom." Caroline excused herself and left the two of them completely alone, besides all of the students that surrounded them.

"How did you get warped into painting a banner for the dance? I mean, school spirit isn't exactly your thing, Quarterback." Lia laughed as she watched him hold up his paintbrush and point it at her as if it was some big, threatening weapon.

"Caroline made me since I'm not going." He answered her question, disappointing her a little bit that he wasn't going to attend the dance, but she decided to hide it with a smile. Honestly, she kind of wanted him to ask her to be his date.

"Why aren't you going? Dancing not your thing either?" Lia laughed at the mere thought of Matt being completely clueless on any 50's dance moves on the night of the dance.

"I have a shift at the Grill that night." He explained with so few words and her laughing came to a stop, not having learned about his new job.

"Since when do you work at the Grill?" Lia asked him curiously, not recalling him ever mentioning getting a job there.

"Since Vicki left. Without my mom around, I have to pay the bills myself." Matt explained to her and she couldn't help but feel bad for him. He was only 16 years old and the sort of things that parents were supposed to take care of, he had to do himself. "I should probably get back to this."