Kill or Be Killed

Chapter 20: Kill or Be Killed

-

"Well, if it isn't the wicked bitch of the west." Amalia made it clear to Lydia that she wasn't thrilled to be in her presence as soon as Lydia walked into the bathroom, stopping right beside Amalia and looking at their reflection in the mirror.

"Ready for today?" Lydia disregarded Amalia's comment completely, finding no point in fighting her.

"I'm sorry. What do you think you're doing?" Amalia asked the girl who was portraying herself as Amalia's cousin in the eyes of the townspeople of Mystic Falls, taking notice of her attire.

"Getting ready for the big picnic with my cuz." Lydia smiled to herself as she applied lipstick to her mouth, popping her lips as soon as she set it down.

"No." Amalia shook her head, refusing to allow Lydia to join her at the city event. "We agreed you would lay low."

"Correction-- You agreed I would lay low. I'm just having fun." Lydia knew she was getting under Amalia's skin, and it was far too entertaining for her to stop. "Come on, Lia. It's not like I'm off ripping heads, left and right."

"Look, I don't want to sound rude or anything, but, um... Is there an expiration date on your little vacation to Mystic Falls?" Amalia's words contrasted everything she had started off with.

Lydia leaned closer to her, stopping right at her ear. "I think I've made it pretty clear it's not just a vacation."

✰✰✰

"So suddenly, she's in the running for Mother of the Year just when I'm trying to avoid her the most. I'm babbling, you don't want to hear all this." Caroline ranted to Elena and Amalia about her problems that had everything to do with her mother and her newfound attempts to try and build a relationship with her.

"You ever wanna make yourself feel better and just take a look at Lydia Schultz: Ancestor of the century." Amalia brought her own issues to the conversation. "Literally."

"Ugh. Relatives suck." Caroline was able to relate to Amalia's problems, sorta-kinda. "So, how are things with you and Stefan? Anything?"

"No, not since the fight. He's been pushing me away because he thinks that Katherine might get jealous enough to hurt me. I just don't know how to change his mind." Elena explained her current relationship-status with Stefan Salvatore to the girls, appearing to be really torn up about it.

"You said that Katherine's dangerous. Maybe he's got a point." Caroline found herself agreeing with the way Stefan viewed things.

"Or he's just a coward." Amalia pointed out, taking Elena's side for once. "What? Someone had to say it."

"I know that she's dangerous. And I know that he's just trying to protect me, but it feels like giving up. And I just..." Elena trailed off. "I just thought that we were stronger than that."