Masquerade

Chapter 21: Masquerade

-

"What happened?" Stefan Salvatore asked as soon as he walked into the living room to find Amalia and Lydia Schultz sitting together on the couch.

"Go ahead, tell him." Damon encouraged her to get along with the story of her encounter with Katherine Pierce. "You're gonna love this."

Amalia and Lydia walked through the Mystic Grill that afternoon after they had decided to grab lunch. But just as they started to leave, Elena Gilbert walked up to them with her hair curled and in different clothes than her usual style.

"Had a little run-in with Katherine today." Amalia started off, telling the youngest brother the beginning of her story.

"Where?" Stefan questioned, worried of what the result of it was.

"Hey..." Katherine, who was posing as Elena trailed off, hoping that she would be able to fool them.

"Hey. You know, we would love to stay and chat, but..." Amalia tried to walk past the girl, but she caught onto her arm, stopping her from making any further movements.

"The grill." Lydia answered. "We went for a little lunch date, and... there she was, ruining the day as always."

"Skip the teen drama and get to it." Damon warned them to get along with the story.

"You're good. What gave me away? Was it the hair? Or was it my clothes?" Katherine asked her, a slight grin on her face.

"Maybe you're just not as good at this as you think." Amalia gave Katherine just as much attitude. Slowly and surely, she had learned not to be afraid of Katherine, regardless of how intimidating she happened to be.

"I told you to leave her alone, Kath." Lydia grabbed onto Katherine's arm, forcing her to release her grip on Amalia's.

"Surely you know me well enough to know I don't like being told what to do." Katherine kept the mood to appear as pleasant when in reality it was anything but. "I need you to deliver a message."

"No." Amalia protested, which didn't seem to please the doppelgänger.

"Tell Damon and Stefan that I want the moonstone or I will rip this town apart until it rains blood." Katherine, once again, didn't follow as she was told. "Tonight, at the masquerade ball."

"She wants to do it in public. Killing Mason threw her off guard." Stefan paced around the room as he worried about what exactly it was that Katherine Pierce had in store for all of them.

"She's out of tricks." Lydia pointed out that they had brought Katherine to her weakest state, which is exactly where they all needed her to be. "All we have to do is come up with another one of our own."