Brave New World

Chapter 18: Brave New World

-

As the girls prepared themselves for the Mystic Falls High School carnival, they couldn't stop themselves from discussing the return of Katherine Pierce and Lydia Schultz, the women they had both been patiently awaiting for ever since learning of their existence(s).

"She looked like a carbon copy of you. It was freaky." Amalia recalled her encounter with the Pierce as she watched Elena write something down on a clipboard.

"She is my ancestor." Elena didn't seem bothered by just how similar she and Katherine appeared to be. "Hey, I moved the student booth into the cafeteria."

"Apparently you're not the only one with a vampire ancestor. The only difference is, mine looks like an ancestor. Yours looks like... you." Both of the girls grabbed onto bags filled with stuffed animals and moved them over to one of the booths.

"I don't know, I can't explain it. It's creepy, that's all I got." Elena shrugged it off as if it was meaningless.

"And how do we know she's not browsing around town acting like Elena 2.0?" Amalia pointed out that now that Katherine was in town and had already tricked multiple people into thinking she was the Gilbert, there was nothing stopping her from continuing her act.

"We don't, but I could sit here and be tortured by the not-knowing, or I could get these prizes to the ring toss." Elena moved one of the bags to another booth and began to take the stuffed animals out of it.

"Have you talked to satan's spawn since he killed Jeremy? Or... tried to kill Jeremy. It's all very confusing." Amalia found the concept of Elena's little brother dying and resurrecting more than enough to cherry top the vampirism situation they had been dealing with for almost a year at that point.

"No, Lia, I haven't and I won't. And I don't want to talk about Damon or anything else that's vampire related, okay?" Elena was very clear of her feelings toward the eldest Salvatore brother, taking her anger out on her best friend. "I'm human. And I have to do human stuff. Otherwise, I'm going to go crazy."

"Seems to me like you're already going a little crazy." Amalia knew that the comment she had made would only provoke Elena further, so she immediately took it back. "Okay, fine. I'm sorry. Carnival, carnival, carnival. You know, if we don't make Caroline proud, she will kill us. I don't know how she does all of this."

"Because she's not human, obviously." Elena laughed, cracking a joke about how Caroline was able to manage every event that went on at their school without having so much as a breakdown.

"Obviously." Amalia agreed, her tone much more dramatic than before.

✰✰✰

"The ring toss is out of Bart and Homer dolls and Team Jacob tee's." Bonnie informed Amalia of the things they needed to get done to keep the carnival going accordingly.