chapter thirty-two

when we arrived, i followed the desk lady to noah's room. turns out, noah was more sick than we all thought. 

i stood next to her mom outside of her room, looking into her room. we were quiet for some time.

"she said you hadn't texted her in over 3 weeks." her mom finally spoke. 

"i went to a party and lost it." i replied, feeling horrid.

"bad idea, ed. she gets attached easily." her gaze still looking onto her heavily medicated daughter. 

"i know she does." i sighed, pressing my head against the glass.

it was quiet for a few minutes and i finally decided to break the silence, again. 

"you know my intentions were to never hurt her, i hope you know that." i looked at her but she never took her eyes off noah. 

"i know, ed. i trust you. but i feel she's hurting you. she could go at any minute and you've been off partying, being healthy." a tear fell. "she sat here and cried when you wouldn't answer your phone. her grades slipped for awhile, and right before this, she was actually doing better."

i turn to face the glass again. she didn't move. it didn't look like she was breathing either. her chest hardly rised. 

"i swear, i will be here for her til her very last breath. and after that, i will be here for you because i'm not like every other guy out there. i care very deeply for noah. i get that the world knows about me, but i want the world to know about noah as well." i rest my hand upon her shoulder. "i love your daughter and would do anything to protect her."

and then the unexpected happened..

the monitor went straight to a loud beeping noise and nurses rushed in with medical equipment..