Chapter 4

Heads up readers the updates for this story might be delayed as I try to keep up writing chapters and editing of course. So if you notice a lag that's why. I try to make sure I run though a few times for readability and looking for spelling/grammar mistakes...lets face it I will always miss a few but I try :D so enjoy this next chapter. :P 

Many years ago...

Asriel left the house—the palace grounds were dank and lacked life, they helped feaster his already plunged mood as he walked towards a small fountain that seemed to be more alive than he was. Bandages dominated his person—soiled red with his blood he moved slowly and sat down on the edge of the fountain.

His mind was a torrent of memories and regrets Chara was dead...his best friend had fallen by the hands of his enraged father. He didn't even take the time to listen to his pleas and her cries as she tried to tell him that Asriel was attacked by her father and the other people in town. That she saved him helped him get back home...

"How could he do that...you were a kid like me...he—he claims to be a just and kind leader Chara...but he slaughtered an innocent girl---he's up there now killing the people in town...though they do deserve it...they attacked me...for no reason I wasn't even doing anything!"

Time went on and as he healed his heart blackened. He kept the developing feeling of resentment for humans and monsters locked away but his mother seemed to know his heart was in trouble and was always by his side a constant council. He tried to assure her he was alright and as he entered his teens he started training with Undyne. If he was to be the next heir to the thrown he had to be strong enough to defend it and his people.

Turns out he was miserable at magic—lacked the finesse in battle. Undyne was understanding she helped tutor him but when he went to spar with his father he failed. He was a disappointment...the look on the murders face was fuel enough to spur him to try harder but he never succeeded.

So late one night in the perpetual night they now existed in he found himself at the fountain again...he hadn't been here since he woke up from the tragedy that stole Chara from him. "Hey Chara—it's been a while." He sighed dropping his head into his hands. "No matter what I do I can't win...turns out you were right I am nothing but a big cry baby..."

"No reason to insult yourself..." a strange sweet voice sounded down by his feet.

Asriel jumped up and looked around. "Who is there." he snarled. "Show yourself!" be brought a weak flame attack up in one hand causing the shadows around him to dance and shift.

"Calm down—I mean no harm and I didn't mean to startle you...down here big guy." the flower spoke up waving a leaf as Asriel look down at him in shock finally noticing him—mouth hanging open.

"Who---"

"Names Flowey...Flowey the flower!"

"A—Asriel." He let the attack die in the air as he blinked down at the diminutive flower.

"Nice to meet ya!"

"Uh—sorry but..."

"I didn't mean to interrupt your monologue—but I overheard you talking to yourself. I live in the garden...amongst the buttercups of course."

"Oh uh—I am sorry if I disturbed you."

"No you didn't." he beamed up at Asriel as he knelt to see the flower better.

"You seem to be having some problems...maybe I can help."

"Help me? How..."

"You said you can't win....no matter what you do. Mind telling me the problem?"

"Oh—well...it's a personal matter."

"You desire power, something wrong with your magic?" The kind smile seemed to morph into something else...something Asriel had no name for. "I can help with that....I have tons to spare."

"A mere flower—how is that possible?"

"Anything is possible if you believe in it enough. Come on take my leaf in your hand and I will show you."

Asriel suppressed the notion to sigh and roll his eyes in the teenage fashion and did as he was told. He felt a sudden buzz go through him. Almost electrifying....he gave a small grunt. He stood up looking at his hand it tingled.

"Alright now try that flame attack again..."

He did. It was vastly improved as the heat washed over both forms Asriel blinked shocked..."T—this is amazing..."

"Yes, I don't advertise my power much for obvious reasons." A sly look came over the flowers face as Asriel marveled at his hand.

"I—I can see that...wow thank you..." he killed the flame and beamed down at the flower happier than he had been in a long time.

"The effects are only temporary."

"Oh." He looked disheartened.

"Don't be so glum...just keep coming to see me...I will be by the fountain..."

"I don't want to impose."

"Nonsense...I want to help you."  

Sorry this chapter is short but stay tuned more to come. leave a comment, vote or both I greatly appreciate the feedback and comments and try to answer them as they come in. You guys are awesome!