|39|

Never apologize 

for burning

too brightly. 

Or collapsing into yourself

every night.

That is how

Galaxies are made. 

~Tyler Kent White

***

I've never been in Atlas's office before.

It's different from what I expected.

Jay told me once that he wouldn't allow anyone within his office. I contributed that to his OCD. I could somewhat relate to him. I wouldn't allow anyone to touch my paints. My brushes. They were mine and mine alone.

Atlas though seemed to not mind.

He looked easy and relaxed within his office chair. Stacks of files and papers rested upon the wide desk, but they each seemed to hold their own order.

Alpha Brandon shakes his head at the sight, "I guess a pack of your size requires a lot of work."

"Many sleepless nights have been spent here Alpha Brandon."

I frown at the words. Something about them doesn't settle right within me. Maybe it's because I had never really thought of the amount of work Atlas actually had to do everyday to keep a pack of this size running. And now he was spending time away from that pack because of me.

Alpha Brandon and the Luna are both seated, waiting for Mark. He soon comes in, his eyes looking for me.

He goes straight to me, and takes my hands in his.

He leans in close, whispering, "You showed him?"

All the wolves are listening. Atlas is staring at Mark with an expression I cannot read.

"Yes."

Mark's voice lowers in volume, "It went well?"

I think back to the feel of Atlas's lips upon my faint scars. Of the sight of tears as they ran down his face.

"Yes."

Mark lets out a deep sigh of relief, before sitting down in a chair, pulling me down to be seated next to him.

Atlas though shakes his head, "Mark, Lexie is sitting next to me."

Mark glares at Atlas and slowly releases my hand. I reclaim Mark's hand, giving it a small, reassuring squeeze before standing and going to the chair that is placed next to Atlas.

His blue eyes watch me, taking me in for a few more seconds before they avert back to the door, as it opens to reveal Jay, Daisy and Lilah.

Lilah takes in Alpha Brandon, the Luna and Mark, her teeth bared to show her flashing fangs. 

"Lilah."

The one word sends chills down my back as Atlas's cold eyes give his Beta their silent command.

She nods and slowly stalks around the trio, taking them in like a wolf would a prey, before stopping to stand behind me.

I look up and see that she is still flashing her canines, her eyes ringed gold.