|42|

She won't break you like those other girls will.

That's exactly why you are terrified of her.

She could make you happy.

And you know being happy is the most terrifying thing in the universe. 

Once you're happy

it can be taken from you.

***

I hum softly on the back porch, quiety listening to the sound of Sandra singing in the Kitchen.

I sigh and check my phone.

Normally I don't carry it with me, and end up leaving it in the bedroom, but now I looked at it, turning it on and staring at the screen every few minutes.

Waiting for Mark to call.

But he didn't.

He still was not answering my calls.

I tried every night to reach him and every night I left the same message.

Are you okay?

Is everything going okay?

Please call me.

"Luna."

I turn at the sound of the male voice.

I don't know him, therefore I automatically shrink back, weary of who he is and what he wants.

He takes in my defensive stance, and smiles.

"I have a phone call for you. It's your father on the line."

I stare at the male warrior with my mouth hanging open.

"M..my father?"

He cocks his head, confusion on his face, "Yes?"

We both wait in awkward silence until he clears his throat.

"I have him on hold. You can pick up the phone in Alpha Atlas's office...if you want."

I stare at the male several seconds more before I ask, "Why is he calling?"

"He um...said he wanted to check up on you?"

Lies.

Father wouldn't do that.

The warrior is giving me an odd look. I stand, trying to appease his worried glance, "Thank you."

"I can tell him you are unavailable?"

"No, it's fine," I wave away the thought.

Walking up the study, I feel a small shiver rise within me as I think what it could be. The scent of Atlas's pine wood and honey though washes over me as I open the door to his office. I sigh.

It was just a phone call.

He couldn't hurt me anymore.

I cautiously pick up the phone. There is a silence until I whisper, "Hello?"

I hear small noises in the background and then father's voice whispers into my ear, "Hello Lexie."

I feel my legs give out as I sink into Atlas's chair.

"How are you?"

I swallow, my throat suddenly dry.

"I'm...I um...I'm fine."