Chapter two: Jealous feelings arise *Edited*

Lucas,1982,Huntsville,Alabama

It's been a year since the incident on the bus, and he hasn't brought up what happened once. He acted like it never happened. It's unfair how he can throw around words that affect me so much, then turn around and act like what happened didn't make him feel the same way. Lately, he's been acting strangely especially since the new girl Lily moved here. Last year while all the girls seemed interested in us boys none of us seemed to really care about them though. It seems now that we're all fourteen or nearing fourteen, it's all they can seem to think about well except me. All I ever think about is Caleb, and I wished I could think about girls. So I wouldn't have these nightmares every night, about what my life would be like if I told Caleb how I felt. Right now we are all walking to the buses everyone excited for the weekend, but I'm waiting on Caleb to bike to our secret hideout. We plan on having a late night adventure catching fireflies and roasting marshmallows just him and me. No stupid perfect blonde Lily, to get in the way of my time alone with him. I finally spot him, and I raise my hand to wave at him, but then it falls when I see Lily standing next to him.

" Hey so um Lily, I was wondering, if you would like to go to the Fall dance with me next week?" Caleb says clearly nervous. As soon as I hear these words, my hearts plummets, and I lose my breath almost like I'm drowning.

" Of course Caleb, I would love to!" She giggles blushing to make her somehow even more perfect. I shouldn't be surprised that this is happening she's the perfect girl and he's the perfect boy. There were even whispers about this happening between our guy friends, saying how jealous they are. I couldn't agree more with them except it's the not girl I'm mad about over, it's the boy I think with a grimace.

" Wow, well I'll see you next week, and we go over costume ideas." He says smiling that amazing smile of his, but this time it's not directed at me.

" Yes, I have some amazing ideas!" She squeals while waving goodbye to him.

We both watch her leave, and then he turns to me and says " Can you believe it, I got a date with the prettiest girl in school!" He says excitement evident in his voice making me all the madder.

" Yeah, that's just freakin great," I mumble under my breath.

" Oh come on, don't be mad, I know we had plans to go trick or treating but we can get you a date with one of her friends." He says slapping me on the back which just fuels my anger even more.

" Sure, sounds great," I say in a monotone voice trying not to let the anger seep in my view.

I then turn around without saying another word and grab my bike and ride off before he can get another word in. The whole way to the secret hideout, I don't say a word just bike as fast I can trying to the get my anger out before we get there. Right before we are there though I hear a shout " Lucas slow down before you get hurt!" Caleb shouts frantically. This only makes me speed up faster just to spite him, and I turn around about to stick my tongue out. When all of a sudden I feel myself go flying through the air. I land with a hard thud as I feel the wind being knocked out of me. I think Caleb sprint towards me and kneel down checking for injuries, when none are to be found; he smacks me upside the head just like my mamma does.

" What were you thinking, going that fast you piss head!" He shouts looking like he's about to cry.

" What do you care anyways, go hang out with your new girlfriend!" I snap as I get up my body still aching from the crash.

" What is wrong with you, I told you I would get you a date too, there's no reason to be acting like this!" He snaps back clearly not understanding the real reason I'm hurting which just makes me even madder.