Chapter six: When two "loving" families collide*Edited*

Lucas,1983,Huntsville,Alabama

It's a been a few months since our last big fight, to say that seeing how bad his father beat him, scared me is an understatement. I knew his daddy beat him, but it had never been this bad before. Caleb told me it had been because he had been drinking, and that rarely happened. He said that it shouldn't be that bad again, his daddy usually knows when to stop when he's sober. When he's drunk, he lets the anger he hides, consumes him. I just wish I could save him from his family. Caleb is this amazing boy who deserves better than he gets. Since his family won't give him love, then I will. Right now it's Thanksgiving, our families decided to combine dinner and celebrate together. This is something that I'm actually grateful for, I rather spend Thanksgiving with Caleb then alone, with my even now nosier mamma, and my somehow even a bigger of an asshole brother. I'm pretty sure Caleb feels the same way about his family.

" Wow, Sarah this look's yummy!" My mamma says, complimenting her sweet potatoes.

" Thank you, Mary, I really love this ham you made!" Sarah says a little too enthusiastically, wincing a little bit as she does, making me notice the bruise on her lower jaw.

" Yeah, your ham is to die for, way better than when Sarah tried to make some last year," Tim says trying to sound joking, but to me, he just seems like he's belittling her.

" Oh Tim, don't be such a jerk to your wife!" My mamma exclaims but throwing her head back, laughing not noticing or maybe just ignoring Sarah's sad expression. I really hope it's not the latter; honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if it was true. My mamma's obsession with Tim has only grown since my daddy's death, and if Sarah wasn't in the picture, I might have a new stepfather. I shiver, the thought of him being related to me in any way makes me feel sick.

" Oh but he's right, I'm not very good when it comes to making ham or turkey," Sarah says while forcing a laugh, that to me sounds like more of a cry.

" I thought your ham was good, mother," Caleb mumbles, and as soon as the words are out of his mouth, my stomach drops in fear at what his dad might do to him.

" Of course Caleb, I was only picking fun at your mother," Tim says gritting his teeth together, and I look at my mom hoping she notices this, but she is just staring at Tim like she worships him. I then look at my little brother who has the same expression, which makes me sad. I know that he's been looking for someone to look up too since daddy's death, but Tim definitely wasn't a good father figure.

" Yeah I know father, I just wanted to show her some appreciation like you taught me." Caleb says forcing a smile, trying to make up for his slip up.

"That's my boy, a little lady's man in the making." His father says smug, yeah a total lady's man who kisses boy's in his spare time.

"Did you hear about that new homo bar that opened up downtown." My little brother said with disgust in his voice, as usual trying to find a way to impress Tim.

" No, are you kidding me something has to be done about vile places like that, right son ?" Tim said looking very expectantly at Caleb.

" Yeah, that place makes me sick." He says nearly wincing as he does. I know what he's thinking, what would his father do if he knew that he was just like them. That the boy that he kissed is sitting right across from him, that we love each other or at least that I love him. These thoughts keep me up just as much they do him because his father might literally kill him if he knew.

" God would be highly disappointed, in those sick in the head people." My mamma says shaking her head in disappointment, her words making my chest clench.

" Do people like that really not go to heaven?" I ask, not able to hold back the words, and across the table I see Caleb's eyes widen in fear, as he shakes his head at me.