Chapter twenty-four:Getting rid of problems

Caleb,1986,Huntsville,Alabama 

It's been a week since Lucas's funeral, the world around was mostly numb. I just don't know what could of drove him to do it. I keep thinking about it over and over again. I have decided a few things though. I still haven't broke up with Jessica. I guess I had been to caught up in my emotions. She started to pester me recently and honestly I'm just done with her. The only reason I was even with her, was to protect Lucas. I don't have the energy to keep up the lies anymore. I can't force a smile on my face and pretend to be with some girl. Some girl, who could never compare to the boy I wish was here.

I take a deep breath, as I knock on the door of her house. Knowing that this will be just a mess. I can already imagine how she'll break down and scream. Is it bad that I don't even care about her feelings? It's just that I don't want to deal with them. I had chose her originally because I thought she was nice and not touchy. Clearly, I was a bad judge of character, unlike him. He could always spot a bad person a mile away. Heck, even he knew exactly what my father was like. From the time we met, I think that's when I started to fall. 

Jessica answers the door, and if I was boy I would probably gape at her beauty. Instead, I just feel my stomach coil up with unease at my current situation. The funny part, is I'm pretty sure she knew I liked boys. She just thought she could "fix me". There's nothing to fix, I've always known that I'm gay. I just had to hide it because of my father.  

" Hey, baby I missed you!" She exclaims batting her eyelashes at me.

" Yeah, hey." I say ignoring the latter statement. 

" Come in, I have a few friends over." She chirps happily at me. Then she grabs my hand, before I can get a word out. 

When I walk into the living, even more dread seeps into my stomach.  Sitting on the couch is Micheal and his girlfriend Jennifer. Sweet little Jennifer, who didn't know that her boyfriend was cheating. With my supposed girlfriend, her best friend. They didn't think I knew but the way he eyed her it was obvious. Good thing, I was gay or that might really suck. It would suck less then losing the person you love though. 

" Hey Caleb, are you okay?" Jennifer asks timidly. 

" Yeah, why do you ask?" I  ask trying to avoid the subject. 

"  I know Lucas was once your best friend, I just wanted to make sure that you were okay.' She says genuine concern on her face. 

" It does hurt, a lot but I'll be fine." I lie. 

" I bet it does, missing sticking it to your boy?" Micheal smirks. 

" What are you talking about?" I ask cautiously. 

" Come on we caught him lip locking with Greg ,the day before the fag offed him self." He grins darkly as me, enjoying the look of pain on my face. 

" What the fuck, you asshole!" I yelled charging at him but  Jessica pulls me back.

" Calm down babe, there's still hope we can fix you." She strokes my hair making me grimace in disgust. 

" Yeah, there was no hope for that disgusting asshole Lucas but your manly unlike him." Micheal gets up, throwing his arm around Jessica. 

" Fuck you Micheal!" I spat at him. 

" And you stupid Harlot, I came here to break up with you!" I snap.

" You can't break up with me!" Jessica shrieks just like I knew she would. 

" Well I just did!" I shout as I walk away.

" You realize if you walk out that door, your officially a homo?" Micheal asks a dangerous gleam in his eyes. 

" Give me all the gayness then, I fully embrace it!" I shout with a mocking smile on face. 

Before I walk out, I turn and look at Jennifer. She had a guilt ridden facial expression, like she didn't agree with this. She deserves better than Micheal, she needs to know the truth. 

" Jennifer, you should ask Micheal about his and Jessica's sleeping habits" I say shooting her a sad smile. 

I finally walk out, hearing another shriek of anger. Probably, Jessica throwing another fit. That brings me back to  a different problem. Greg,he was there when it happened. He could of stopped this, he knows where our fucking club house is. Lucas told me there was no feelings but if he was caught kissing Greg. What did that mean? Did Greg reject him, I knew Greg once had feelings for him. I feel a rage build in my stomach, at the thought of him hurting Lucas. That asshole was never satisfied with just friends, he had to leave my country boy at his weakest. That's one reason I stopped resisting, I was scared of the damage. I knew he was depressed, he had been ever since his father died. 

I decide to walk to Greg's house while I sort out my thoughts. Thinking about how he always put himself down and how his life had slowly spiraled. The thing with Micheal had clearly been his breaking point.I just needed to know exactly what had happened that day. I walk into Greg's nice neighbor, trying to not feel jealous. Lucas, definitely could  of had a better life with Greg. He was rich, nice and good looking. I'll admit it even though he wasn't my type, he had that all-american boy look. I knew I was good looking but money and personality wise. I didn't have anything to offer, I was a shit head and I knew it.

I finally make it to his big mansion and I knock on his door several times. It takes him a while to answer. When he opens the door, he looks terrible. Worse that me, he looks like he hasn't taken a shower in a few days and his face looks very zombie like. When he sees me, he eyes widen. In fear not surprise. Actually, he doesn't look surprised to see me at all. Kind of, like he was expecting me. This doesn't sit very well with me. 

" You know why I'm here, don't you?" I ask. 

" Micheal and his big mouth?" He questions even though he already knows. 

" Yeah, now get talking." I slam his front door open. Not waiting for his reply as I walk in. 

I'm annoyed to see the inside, looks just as good as the outside. He leads me up to his living room and sits down on the couch. I decide to take the chair across from him. This seems like something I need to sit down for.  

" The day before Lucas died, Micheal found us kissing." He stated slowly, nervously.

" Yeah, I know that part but what happened?" I ask annoyed.

" Okay well I kissed him but he made it look like he did it." He whispers.

" What?!" I exclaim angrily. I'm already not liking where this is going.

" Micheal and his friends saw, they tried to chase him down." He whispers.

" Lucas, he looked petrified, I never seen him like that." He smiles sadly. 

" Let me guess, you just sat there and watched!" I snapped. 

" Caleb it wasn't like...."

" It sounds like to me that you let him take the fall!" I yell jumping up from the couch. 

" Caleb I didn't want him to...."

" You're a fucking coward Greg!" I snap. 

I stomp out of his house, slamming the door behind me as I go. I walk home, trying to keep it together. I fail when I'm half way home. I feel my legs give out and I don't even bother trying to catch myself. The pain never bothers me anymore anyways. I curl up on the grass next to the sidewalk. Hyperventilating, as the tears rush down my face. Trying to pick myself back up again, if not for me then for Lucas. He would want me to push myself forward. Even if he couldn't do the same for you? That selfish part of myself questioned.  

________________________________________________________________________

Authors note: Only two chapters left to go. Don't worry though, I plan on writing a sequel. Either late December or early January. Caleb will be the main character, he deserves a happy ending!