Fifty-Two - Overprotective Is No Longer A Dirty Word

FIFTY-TWO

Overprotective Is No Longer a Dirty Word

By the dim lighting within the coatroom, Catherine continues to lay eyes on the women held there, and upon samples of the designs upon them. Most of what she sees reinforces her opinion that rarely does any of this body “art” deserve a second look, since most of it cannot even be recognized at all as something more than a mere deposit of its base material, of its base truth. What merits attention, however, are the women themselves, of course. Their confinement. Internment. Incarceration. For speaking their mind. For having had enough. For deciding that the unknown in here had to be better than what they knew, out there, of the masters, of themselves, and of what silence and a sober turn within would bring on.

When Catherine reaches the end of the first aisle, the second one beckons to her, and she unhesitatingly steps within this next area of the collector’s case. One of those rare deserved second looks then halts her feet, and, after studying the design, she ventures to find the eyes that belong to the body.

“If women designed planes and made the laws about them, no loss of lives through crashes would have to occur before what everyone knows is a flaw, or even a possible flaw, were corrected. It wouldn’t be about money first, and, therefore, women’s natural, protective sense of better safe than sorry would’ve saved many lives,” Catherine then understands. “Plus, a transponder could’ve never been turned off, and neither could’ve the flight and cockpit voice recorders, because women would’ve known to make that impossible, since we’re used to having to deal with sneaky, because most men are all about sneaky in one way or another, and since we instinctively and ferociously protect our kids. We therefore wouldn’t have allowed people to just disappear from the face of the Earth because of a bad guy. ‘Plane, I have to know where you are at all times, for your own safety,’ a mother would’ve insisted. And as for the reason given for the necessity of that on/off switch -- that is, that transponders have to be off when on the ground-- an off-code piggy-backed onto something that happens only when the plane is on the ground could’ve been devised.

And something else: the protection that video surveillance in public places offers, as well as its help in prosecuting cases, are worth losing privacy for, so, if there’s something that you don’t want recorded, then just don’t do it, because safety matters more than covering up people’s chosen vices. And . . . public privacy? Oxymoron.”

Catherine’s eyes find another woman’s.

 “‘Hey, I came, and it felt good, and now I have a kid. Easy. No nine months. No pain. No labour. Nothing left of the pregnancy on my body. No chance of diabetes later in life. So, let the kid walk to school alone. Let the crazy neighbour baby-sit her. Let the kid do whatever. Because taking risks and not being careful is how all of life should be lived -- the male way -- and, if something happens, I’ll just have another blissful moment, and another kid will soon appear before me.’ That’s how most men think, isn’t it?” Catherine decodes from the woman.

“Imagine becoming a mom that way, with equal rights, just by climaxing, just by having fun,“ the non-refundable continues. “Yeah right. Like there’s a chance ever that men would ever allow women to think that they’re as important as men are, after men were the ones who were pregnant. I mean, men legally own words because they thought of putting them together for business purposes, to make money. So, if they created lives . . . Wow. And that ‘were pregnant’ thing, a nine-months pregnant man would very objectively and reasonably tell his wife ‘this here is pregnancy, what I’m going through, and you’re not pregnant, so what’s this ‘we’ crap?’

And how unnatural would it seem to men to hear women say ‘hey, I came. So what if you carried the kid for nine months and it was a part of your body, and you have all those instincts and hormones because it came from your body? Let it go! I came.’ Women often say ‘if men had the babies . . .’ Well, legally, it’s now as if they do. And safety-wise that’s . . .