16.

"I don't believe in magic or luck. I do the math and I don't gamble."
                                     ~Sasha Williams
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Devore's POV~

    "I'm Rick," the man next to Daryl tells me and shakes my hand. Rick, I guess that's his name, has semi curly brown hair, piercing blue eyes, and a short beard. He looks at Daryl before asking, "How many walkers have you killed? How many people have you killed? Why?"

    "Um.." I stutter. His question practically blindsided me. Odd questions to ask someone when you first meet them. Daryl seems to trust him and he seems to trust Daryl so I'll answer.  "I've killed only one walker. With the help of Daryl." I mutter the last part. I can feel my cheeks slightly turn pink from embarrassment. I know it's not really something to be embarrassed about, but hey, I'm being put on the spot.

    "Any people?" Rick asks, his face becoming a little more grim. The people are still standing back by the front of Daryl's car. There are three women and four men, not counting Rick. One woman has short grayish brown hair, one has long dark brown hair, and the other has shoulder length blonde hair. One of the men is a black, one has short black hair that is buzzed, one is an older man wearing a fishing hat, and one was asian. The man with buzzed hair seems to be almost glaring at me.

    "No. I couldn't imagine killing someone." I respond. I see Rick look at Daryl again, probably just to make sure I'm not lying.

    Rick looks back at me, "Well Devore, would you like to become part of our group? You would have to help out around the farm and with other things." He informs me.

    "Yes. I'll do what I have to do to earn my keep," I tell him. "I have some supplies. Weapons, a little food, and some medical supplies. There is almost a full tank of gas in each car and two small canisters of gas too."

    "Okay. Thank you." Rick nods to me. I go to both of the cars and grab the two backpacks, tote bag, and both sets of car keys. I hand both of the backpacks and the keys to Rick, keeping the tote bag on my shoulder.

    "You're welcome." I reposition the bag on shoulder awkwardly. I see Daryl giving me a small smile.

    Rick turns his body to the side and faces the group behind him. "This is part of our group. Carol," He points to the woman with short grayish brown hair. "T-Dog," he points to the black man. "My wife Lori," He points to the woman with long dark brown hair. "Dale," He points to the older man wearing a fishing hat. "Glenn," He points to the asian man. "Andrea," he points to the woman with shoulder length blonde hair. "And Shane." he points to the last man, the one with the buzzed hair who was practically glaring at me. I nod to them all when Rick finishes telling me their names.

Walking towards the group, "Hi, I'm Devore Caverly." I shake everyones' hand and almost everyone gives me warm, welcoming smiles, except for Shane.

"Let's head inside so I can put the bags in there and so you can meet the rest of the group." Rick tells me and i follow him and Daryl to the house. The group of people outside go back over to the campfire and their tents. As soon as we get inside a mouthwatering aroma basically slaps me in the face. "Hershel," Rick calls out.

"Yes Rick.." An old man wearing suspenders comes out of the kitchen, looking at his hands as he dries them on a rag. I'm kind of hidden behind Rick and Daryl so Daryl steps to the side a bit so Hershel can see me. "Oh, who is this?" He questions in a friendly tone.