19.

"We survive by pulling together, not apart."
                 ~Rick Grimes
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Important author's note at the end.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Devore's POV~

    I wake up the bright sun shining into the room again. I think I slept in super late again. I carefully stretch before pulling myself out of Beth's bed. I feel much better today, my head isn't pounding anymore and the pain in my shoulder is bearable. I quickly slip on a pair of jeans and a t-shirt before going into the main part of the house. There doesn't seem to be anyone in the house at the moment, so I slip my shoes on before going onto the porch. Majority of the group is sitting on the porch, hanging out. I see Maggie and Glenn first, talking on the porch stairs. I walk over to the nearest wooden post and lean against it.

    "You look like you should be in line for the early bird special." Maggie says, taking Dale's hat off Glenn's head. I smile, they seem so perfect for each other. "Go get your cap. I'll wash it for you, okay?" Maggie places the hat next to her as Glenn stands up.

    "Do you know what's going on?" Asks T-Dog as he and Andrea walk over to us.

    "Where is everyone?" Andrea questions.

    "You haven't seen Rick?" Glenn asks, stepping forward a bit.

    "He went off with Hershel. We were supposed to leave a couple hours ago." Andrea informs him.

    "Yeah you were. What the hell?" Daryl says as he joins the group with Carol close behind him.

    "Rick told us he was going out." Carol adds. I look at them a bit confused.

    "Damn it. Isn't anybody taking this seriously?" Asks Daryl. "We got us a damn trail." He walks over to where T-Dog, Andrea, Maggie, and Glenn are standing. He turns around almost immediately and starts walking back the way he came. "Oh, here we go." He says as he walks to Shane. Shane is carrying a bag on his shoulder and a rifle in his hand. Everyone is looking over in Daryl and Shane's direction now. "What's all this?" Daryl points at what Shane's holding.

    "You with me, man?" Shane asks and Daryl takes the gun from him. I push myself off the post, very confused on what's unfolding in front of me. I specifically remember Hershel not wanting guns out on his land. I give Daryl a look, but he just nods to me as if trying to tell me everything will be okay. "Time to grow up." Shane walks over to the adults standing near the porch. Daryl cocks the rifle and walks with him. "You already got yours?" Shane asks, looking at Andrea.

    "Yeah. Where's Dale?" She questions.

    "He's on his way." Shane states bluntly.

    "Thought we couldn't carry." T-Dog says.

    "We can and we have to." Replies Shane. Everyone that is on the porch is now standing near me. "Look, it was one thing sitting here and picking daisies when we thought this place was supposed to be safe. But now we know it ain't. How about you, man? You gonna protect yours?" Shane holds out a rifle to Glenn. He looks split and looks at Maggie before taking the gun hesitantly. "That's it. Can you shoot?" He asks Maggie.

    "Can you stop? You do this, you hand out these guns, my dad will make you leave tonight." Maggie insists.

    "We have to stay, Shane." Carl states.

    "What is this?" Lori walks over to where Carl is standing.

    "We ain't going anywhere, okay?" Shane reassures Carl. I'm speechless, I have no idea what Shane is going on about. He's actually scaring me a bit. "Now look, Hershel, he's just gotta understand. Okay? He- Well, he's gonna have to. Now we need to find Sophia. Am I right?" Shane takes a pistol out of his waistband and kneels before Carl. "Huh? Now I want you to take this. You take it, Carl, and you keep your mother safe. You do whatever it takes. You know how. Go on, take the gun and do it." Shane holds the gun out to Carl.