Chapter 5 - Fence-hopper

"Seeing as you asked such a marvellous truth last time," Jacob began, lacing his words thick with sarcasm. "I'm going to have to go with dare."

Spizzo began to laugh with utter glee, telling the other teen, "Oh this is going to be fun."

"Just tell me what it is," Jacob said, cutting to the chase. The small amount of alcohol in his system had apparently let him loosen the reins and unclench a tiny bit. From Spizzo's laugh, Jacob knew the dare was not going to be good, but surprisingly, he didn't care as much as he thought he should. "And keep it legal."

Ok, so maybe he still cared a little.

"Don't fret, my sweet Skidders," Spizzo cooed, the gleeful smile not leaving his lips. "It's gonna be real simple, yeah?"

Jacob sighed, "What do you want me to do?"

Spizzo jumped up from his seat and motioned for Jacob to follow him as he made his way to the side of the house. As they got to the end of the patio, Spizzo pointed out towards the house next door and said, "See that bar over there?"

Jacob squinted, not quite able to see clearly from that far in the low light, but could definitely make out the bar that Spizzo was talking about, asking, "Yeah, what about it?"

"Well, I wanna get buzzed, and my dad would kill me if I took any of his liquor from our bar," Spizzo began, enjoying the look of slow recognition cross the other teen's face. "So, I dare you to hop the fence and steal as many of those lovely liquor bottles you can."

"I said nothing illegal!" Jacob whined, not liking the thought of having to sneak across the neighbour's patio to nick those bottles. Although he couldn't see any signs of anyone inside at that moment, with his luck, he knew that Mr and Mrs Snooty McRich would come home just as he applied the five-finger discount to their alcohol. "I can't do that."

"You can, and you will," Spizzo countered, arms crossed as he eyed Jacob, as if to say, "don't test me on this."

Jacob huffed, stamping his foot petulantly as he wondered if maybe he should test Spizzo on this. But his better judgement knew that he had to, grumbling to himself as he hiked himself over the fencing around the patio and leaped the short distance to the one next door.

His heart ran a million miles a minutes, gripping tight to the railing as he tried not to look at the drop beneath him. If he fell right now, it would probably be the death of him. It was only as he manoeuvred himself over the neighbours' railing and put both feet firmly on the decking did he finally let out a breath.

"Good work, Skidmark!" Spizzo whooped, a little to loud for Jacob's liking, who turned around to shush him, only to be ignored as the Spizzo added, "Now get those bottles!"

Jacob sighed, testing his weight on the decking to see if it creaked. Happy that the wood wasn't going to snitch him out, Jacob tip-toed across the patio, eyes switching focus between the bar and the backdoor, ears listening out for any sign of life inside.

As he got to the bar, Jacob grabbed the first two liquor bottles in reach, creeping quickly back towards Spizzo with both bottles in hand. "What do I do now?" he asked, no sure how he was going to get back across.

"Just toss them over," Spizzo suggested, hands already up to catch.

"You better be a good catch," Jacob responded, grimacing a little as he tossed the first bottle over and watched as Spizzo missed the catch, the bottle landing on the hardwood with a thunk.

"All good," Spizzo assured Jacob, picking up the bottle to look for any damage. "Now chuck the other one!"

"Actually catch it this time," Jacob retorted as he tossed the second over, heaving a sigh of relief as bottle landed safely in Spizzo's hands. Happy that that meant his dare was over, he hiked himself over the railing, only to hear Spizzo tut at him. "What now?"

"Your dare's not over," Spizzo said, holding up a bottle as he explained, "grab four more and then you can come back."

Jacob shook his head, telling Spizzo, "nuh-uh", as he stayed seated on the railing. "That's more than enough, I'm not grabbing anymore for you. Grab it yourself."

Spizzo's eyebrows rose at the other teen's tone, still surprised by just how feisty he was. "Put it this way, Skidmark," he began, maintaining eye contact with the other so he'd know that he meant business. "You either grab it now, or you'll be back over there on your next shot and I'll even make you wipe your ass on their windows too."

Jacob grimaced at the other teen, telling him, "what the fuck, dude, that's disgusting."

"Then get your butt back over there and grab the bottles so you won't have to do it," Spizzo retorted, looking at Jacob as if that were the most obvious thing.

"Stop talking about my ass," was all Jacob said back to the other teen as he got down from the railing, muttering "and you call me the queer one" to himself as he snuck back to the bar.

As he helped himself to four more of the bottles on the shelf, a light came on inside, illuminating the back porch in a soft yellow light of absolute terror. "Shit, shit, shit," Jacob muttered to himself as he hauled ass back to Spizzo, rushing to toss the bottles over and jump back across before he was caught.

Climbing back over the railing to Spizzo's deck, Jacob looked him right in the eye and said, "I hate you so much," panting heavily as his heart continued to race.

"Oh settle down, drama queen, you're fine," the other teen replied, pointing back to the house to show that the light was now off. "Whoever it was probably left again."

"You're the worst," Jacob continued to glare.

"Absolutely," was Spizzo's reply, ignoring the glare as he opened one of the bottles and took a swig. "Now it's my turn."

"Nope. Nuh-uh. I've had enough of this bullshit," Jacob spat, going for his bag as he mumbled to himself about almost dying, but was stopped as he tried to approach the back door, Spizzo's muscled arm barring the exit.

"This isn't over and you're not leaving," he said very matter-of-factly, with an intense burn in his eyes that made Jacob freeze in place. "You can go when I say you can, got it?"

"Uh, yeah, of course," was Jacob's meek reply.

"Good," Spizzo nodded. "Now give me my dare."