Chapter 26 - 4am and Other Emotions

A/N: Heavy chapter ahead. 
CW: death mention

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"Hey, just wait out here, I'll come back with some towels," said Spizzo about ten or so minutes after their jump into the pool.

After their laughing fit died down, the two realised how close they were, Spizzo wrapped around Jacob like ivy around a pole. Jacob became aware of Spizzo's breath hitting his face as they were pressed together. It was too close, too reminiscent of their kiss that both had agreed for a big mistake. Jacob had to break the tension, a weird and sudden urge to kiss Spizzo again that he sure as hell didn't want to listen to.

All he could think to do was dunk them both underwater, giving the other teen a quick tickle so that he would let go of his shoulders before pushing him away.

To Spizzo, this meant war. He had to retaliate, not one to be dunked without getting retribution.

So the two teens ended up mucking about, playfully trying to drown each other as they splashed, pushed and dragged one another through the water. Jacob copped a mouthful of water but he made sure to push down on Spizzo's shoulders to leapfrog him in return. Spizzo went to dack the other teen but thought against it, common sense kicking in and taking over the heat of the moment.

Trying to take your ex-best friend's shorts off as part of horsing around would not have been a great look.

Jacob was none the wiser, adamant that he wanted to win. But after a few minutes, he could see that victory was not in sight and that he could have to accept defeat against a much stronger rival, lest he actually died trying to be a winner.

That was not the way he wanted to go out.

So once Jacob called for mercy and Spizzo revelled in his victory, the two jumped out of the pool, rushing towards the back door to go back inside. The breeze had picked back up a little while they were in the pool and the wind rushing against their wet bodies caused Jacob to shiver.

"It's too cold, I need to get inside," Jacob reasoned, doing anything to be away from the cold.

Spizzo wasn't having it though, telling him, "Mum will be mad if we get the floor all wet, I'll just quickly rush inside and grab the towels. You'll be fine."

The other teen was ready to contest his point but he wasn't given the opportunity, Spizzo already heading inside and disappearing down the hall.

Jacob wondered if he'd ever come back, if this was going to be Spizzo final victory by letting him freeze to death by his back door. He wondered what hypothermia would feel like, if it was cold enough that he'd end up having to snap his toes off. He wondered if he'd end up like that Green Boots guy who was on Everest, a landmark for all the guests visiting the Spizzinelli household to come and see.

His melodramatic slippery slope ended as Spizzo returned, big fluffy towel in hand. Jacob quickly grabbed it off him and rubbed to generate some warmth as he dried off. "What do I do with these clothes?" he asked, not sure what to do with the wet clothes he had on. He was still in Spizzo's clothes from when they'd swapped for the dare but the clothes he'd come in were both dirty from when Spizzo had poured milk on himself. "I need new clothes."

"Yeah yeah, I grab you some more of mine," Spizzo replied, motioning the other teen to get inside, sufficiently dry enough that he wasn't going to get the floor all wet. "Jump into that bathroom there and I'll bring some down."

~ ~ ~

Jacob appeared on the deck about fifteen minutes later, bone dry and freshly clothed. Spizzo, who was sitting in his usual spot, had given Jacob a thicker sweater and some track pants to warm him up for the cooler weather. Spizzo had also dressed himself in a similar outfit and had another drink open.